Jun 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Jose Molina is one of the slowest runners in baseball history, so when the 38-year-old Rays catcher scored the go-ahead run from second base on a single to center field yesterday it led to some amusing quotes in the clubhouse afterward.
First, here’s Molina:
I just said that as soon as he hit the ball I’ve got to try to score, pretty much that’s the way it was. I took my lead really good and gave everything I had–I guess it’s not that much–but I give everything and to try to slide and avoid the tag and I did, and scored a big run for us.I think I did one of those “Matrix” moves and he didn’t tag me.
As he went by, the vortex almost like pulled me into his jet stream as he was running toward home plate, and eventually he was safe. I jumped out of the dugout, everything slowed down, slow motion, and the umpire went, “Safe.” So it was a good play.
One day if Molina ever decides to write his life story “Matrix moves, vortexes, and jet steams” wouldn’t be a bad choice for the title.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 1
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 40
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 74
- Who really owns a home run ball? 63
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)