Jun 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Jose Molina is one of the slowest runners in baseball history, so when the 38-year-old Rays catcher scored the go-ahead run from second base on a single to center field yesterday it led to some amusing quotes in the clubhouse afterward.
First, here’s Molina:
I just said that as soon as he hit the ball I’ve got to try to score, pretty much that’s the way it was. I took my lead really good and gave everything I had–I guess it’s not that much–but I give everything and to try to slide and avoid the tag and I did, and scored a big run for us.I think I did one of those “Matrix” moves and he didn’t tag me.
As he went by, the vortex almost like pulled me into his jet stream as he was running toward home plate, and eventually he was safe. I jumped out of the dugout, everything slowed down, slow motion, and the umpire went, “Safe.” So it was a good play.
One day if Molina ever decides to write his life story “Matrix moves, vortexes, and jet steams” wouldn’t be a bad choice for the title.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)