Jun 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Jose Molina is one of the slowest runners in baseball history, so when the 38-year-old Rays catcher scored the go-ahead run from second base on a single to center field yesterday it led to some amusing quotes in the clubhouse afterward.
First, here’s Molina:
I just said that as soon as he hit the ball I’ve got to try to score, pretty much that’s the way it was. I took my lead really good and gave everything I had–I guess it’s not that much–but I give everything and to try to slide and avoid the tag and I did, and scored a big run for us.I think I did one of those “Matrix” moves and he didn’t tag me.
As he went by, the vortex almost like pulled me into his jet stream as he was running toward home plate, and eventually he was safe. I jumped out of the dugout, everything slowed down, slow motion, and the umpire went, “Safe.” So it was a good play.
One day if Molina ever decides to write his life story “Matrix moves, vortexes, and jet steams” wouldn’t be a bad choice for the title.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 21
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 28
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)