Jose Molina used “Matrix moves” to score from second base on a single

Jun 20, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT

Jose Molina, Jarrod Saltalamacchia AP

Jose Molina is one of the slowest runners in baseball history, so when the 38-year-old Rays catcher scored the go-ahead run from second base on a single to center field yesterday it led to some amusing quotes in the clubhouse afterward.

First, here’s Molina:

I just said that as soon as he hit the ball I’ve got to try to score, pretty much that’s the way it was. I took my lead really good and gave everything I had–I guess it’s not that much–but I give everything and to try to slide and avoid the tag and I did, and scored a big run for us.I think I did one of those “Matrix” moves and he didn’t tag me.

And here’s manager Joe Maddon:

As he went by, the vortex almost like pulled me into his jet stream as he was running toward home plate, and eventually he was safe. I jumped out of the dugout, everything slowed down, slow motion, and the umpire went, “Safe.” So it was a good play.

One day if Molina ever decides to write his life story “Matrix moves, vortexes, and jet steams” wouldn’t be a bad choice for the title.

1. lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jun 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I put a mixture of pig blood and plantain paste on his shoes. Not just any plantain, either. Had it mashed up special by a hot blooded Latina. Those have the best juju.

• The Rabbit - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Pig blood? Plantain paste?
      You smoked a cigar, drank FauxBu’s rum (with or without ginger beer), comtemplated how you were going to get your pig spear through customs, and wondered if you were as smooth and agile as SH Molina.

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I keep my pig spear in my pants.

• indaburg - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Truer words have never been spoken.

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:49 PM

/fluffs pelt. Stares.

2. papalurchdxb - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:30 AM

It also helped that the CF with the arm of my 2yr old daughter was making the throw, but still, credit to Molina for making the play stick.

3. indaburg - Jun 20, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Matrix moves, huh? I would describe it more like the same evasive maneuvers my 16 month old makes when he is trying to evade me taking something out of his mouth. Drunken toddler sidestep wobble.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3845)