Manny Ramirez does not have a job in Japan, wants to return to the majors

Jun 20, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

Yesterday we learned that Manny Ramirez is leaving his team in Taiwan and has travelled to Japan. There were mixed reports as to whether he had a contract to play for a Japanese team. Jesse Sanchez reports, however, that he does not:

The Yankees should totally do it. I know it would create a media poop-storm, but give me one baseball-specific reason why they shouldn’t give him a minor league deal and see if he can still hit major league pitching. Tell me with a straight face that he isn’t a better option than Vernon Wells. Don’t give me any crap about how the Yankees don’t need a PED guy joining the team when they got A-Rod rehabbing in Tampa.

MAKE IT HAPPEN BRIAN CASHMAN!

1. penzfan329 - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Arod manny and braun are all a disgrace to the game and should be banned. Thats how i feel

• rbj1 - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM

How about the national sports reporters who told the local guy to shut up about McGwire’s bottle of andro?
      Or the clean players who saw PED use and said nothing, along with clubhouse attendants and managers & coaches who saw the bacne?

• largebill - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Which clean players saw PED use and said nothing? Do you think using player A took a shot of XYZ right in front of clean player B?

Separately, what in the hell do you think a clubhouse attendant (or other people) should do when they see acne on a players back?

• rbj1 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:48 PM

largebill, I’ve read enough stories over the years with quotes from anonymous players saying “dude, put a shirt on” to cover up the bacne.

And please read this Peter Gammons column:

some quotes:
        ” In the same Series, [1968] which at times seemed to be a matchup between Detroit and St. Louis druggists, Cardinal Bob Gibson was gobbling muscle-relaxing pills, trying chemically to keep his arm loose.”

and
        “‘We occasionally use Dexamyl and Dexedrine [amphetamines] … We also barbiturates, Seconal, Tuinal, Nembutal … We also use someanti-depressants, Triavil, Tofranil, Valium … But I don’t think the use of drugs is as prevalent in the Midwest as it is on the East and West coasts,’ said Dr. I. C. Middleman, who, until his death last September, was team surgeon for the St. Louis baseball Cardinals.”

Team doctor?

• largebill - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:18 PM

That doesn’t answer what action anyone else should do when they see such “clear cut evidence” as acne. Many things including legal supplements can result in acne outbreaks. People with great hindsight cast stones and say that other people should of done something. However, in real time it probably wasn’t as clear cut as one might imagine it to be. Especially since you included those all powerful enforcement agents called clubhouse attendants. Those guys would have been canned immediately if they started accusing players of cheating based on acne.

• rbj1 - Jun 20, 2013 at 3:35 PM

Here’s a Sports Illustrated article from 1969:

It’s not so much that clubhouse attendants should snitch, but that various PEDS have been pervasive in all sports for a long time.

Here’s a good take on the article:

Now, I don’t want PEDs in sports, especially baseball (as it’s the one sport where someone my size can play) but this did not come about because Jose Canseco came into the league.

If I were Hank & Hal, about to resign A-Rod to over a quarter billlion dollar contract, I might want to talk to the clubhouse personnel just to see in they have seen anything that might be a red flag.

• 18thstreet - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

You know who else was bad? Pol Pot.

I mean, no one’s mentioned him recently, but Ryan Braun wasn’t part of this post either, so I thought it was right to bring up other bad people.

• cohnjusack - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Meh, Pol Pot gets a bad rap.

Actual quote from http://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/newmandala/2012/09/29/counterpunch-pol-pot-wasnt-so-bad/

“The Pol Pot the Cambodians remember was not a tyrant, but a great patriot and nationalist, a lover of native culture and native way of life. He was brought up in royal palace circles; his aunt was a concubine of the previous king. He studied in Paris, but instead of making money and a career, he returned home, and spent a few years dwelling with forest tribes to learn from the peasants. He felt compassion for the ordinary village people who were ripped off on a daily basis by the city folk, the comprador parasites. He built an army to defend the countryside from these power-wielding robbers. Pol Pot, a monkish man of simple needs, did not seek wealth, fame or power for himself. He had one great ambition: to terminate the failing colonial capitalism in Cambodia, return to village tradition, and from there, to build a new country from scratch.”

I mean, so what? He killed what was it? Several million people? What’s that compared to being a “monkish man”.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:57 PM

It’s a holiday in Cambodia
        It’s tough, kid, but it’s life
        It’s a holiday in Cambodia
        Don’t forget to pack a wife

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:07 PM

You should probably stop watching sports in general if that’s how you feel.

• alang3131982 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM

What about players that scuff balls or cork bats? What about Andy Pettitte? brian roberts?

• fanofevilempire - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:06 PM

ah pipe down, the game survived Ruth,Ty Cobb,Shoeless Joe scandal, Cocaine
      and Pete Rose and…..

• fanofevilempire - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I like Manny, but Manny in the Bronx may be a bad idea.
      I hope he can get a shot and leave a good showing this time.

2. cohnjusack - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Other than the obvious reasons of being a constant pain in the ass…

1. He posted a .697 OPS in the minors for the A’s in 2012
    2. He hit 1 home run in his last 156 MLB at bats…back in 2010.
    3. He’s 41 years old…he can’t field, he can’t run the bases, and he sure hasn’t hit MLB level pitching in several years.

• billybawl - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM

That’s three baseball-specific reasons! He only asked for one.

I was just going to say because Manny behaved himself last year and still couldn’t stick with the Sacramento River Cats, who play in the hitter friendly PCL.

• dswan3199 - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:57 AM

Last year he posted a .697 ops, with a .306 BA in minors in 15 games… after not playing 35 straight days.. So what your saying is he hit for average after not hitting or playing in a game for over a year after he retired? How many hitters can take a whole calender year off of a sport and come back and instantly start killing it? I bet you Jeter comes back rusty… Justin Mournue still isn’t the same player since he was hurt with a concussion. If you give him a minor league deal and he is a problem or fails to put up numbers… You let him go no harm done. If he behaves himself puts up decent numbers, and helps you win a few games. You look like the smartest guy in the league. He gets hit with roids… it voids the contract and no harm to foul.

• cohnjusack - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Umm…he wasn’t hitting *before* he went to the minors and he was hitting in the minors with zero power. Then he got released by the A’s.

In what universe is a 41-year-old who hasn’t hit MLB pitching in basically 3 years anything other than probably a waste of everyone’s time. Especially when that player is notorious for being an epic pain in the ass and sure to cause a storm of controversy?

• neoshweaty - Jun 20, 2013 at 11:59 AM

Sometimes the game passes players by and they don’t want to accept it. When he was in his prime, he had one of the greatest eyes and plate discipline the game had ever seen from a right hander. Seems like he feasted on sub par talent and expects people to care. Sorry Manny, but you’re time is up. He would have been in the majors if he could contribute meaningfully.

3. pisano - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Hey Craig, are you on LSD, with a post like that, I’m wondering.

4. Joe - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Wait, what? Vernon Wells had a great April! I thought that meant he was having one of his “good” years.

(Checks stats.) Oh good lord, no, that’s not what it meant.

5. cptnew1 - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:24 PM

My softball team could use a left fielder, ours hurt his shoulder unloading a case of fries at McDonalds…Well, I don’t know if we want Manny in the field…Maybe DH…Actually, I think we’ll just play shorthanded…

• largebill - Jun 20, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Not being able to hit major league pitching does NOT mean he wouldn’t be a fantastic softball player. And even at his worst defensively he probably would be among the best defensive outfielders in most softball leagues. Yes, there is that much difference between pros and guys who at most played a little high school ball a decade or so ago.

• cptnew1 - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Actually, it was TWO decades ago. You’re right, now I don’t have to fly to Japan to see if Manny really would consider playing. I think instead I’ll look up the word sarcasm. I thought I knew what it meant. Thanks.

• jwbiii - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Remember Garret Anderson when he was washed up? Awful. After that, he played rec league softball in Phoenix. I have a friend who was an umpire there and said he was the best hitter he ever saw. There is a huge talent gap between us and them.

6. elmo - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:02 PM

Maybe try for the Long Island Ducks, Manny.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 20, 2013 at 5:20 PM

I wouldn’t count that out.

7. shanabartels - Jun 20, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Brian Cashman is willing to get creative with finding out which seemingly washed-up guys might have something left in the tank, and that’s fine. I really appreciated all the contributions from Eric Chavez and Raul Ibanez in recent years. But Manny Ramirez, aside from not hitting and having a checkered past, can also be spectacularly irritating. Manny Being Manny was funny sometimes when he was younger, but not anymore.

Besides, there’s the aforementioned creativity, and there’s desperation. I don’t think Cashman has reached that level of desperation.

I know this post was tongue-in-cheek and I don’t mean to come off as humorless. It just gets tiresome watching these ridiculous injuries pile up. Watching a guy have his hand broken by a HBP on the second day of exhibition games, come back for one quick week of games a couple months later, and promptly break his other hand from another HBP… I wish I could laugh more because it’s so absurd, but it’s really frustrating. This isn’t how Granderson’s walk year was supposed to play out.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 20, 2013 at 5:32 PM

The Yankees pitching hasn’t killed them, I
      think their lineup is very weak and they are
      only 3.5 games out.
      I just want to see what is for at the trade
      deadline, maybe we get some help there.
      Yankees could be buyers and Jetes could be back,
      maybe some of the other guys.

• shanabartels - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Yeah, in theory the second half could be significantly less stressful if even some of the currently-injured guys come back strong. Like, forget about Pineda because god only knows, but even if Cervelli hits a little, that would help.

Three legends off to Cooperstown