Jun 20, 2013, 9:50 PM EDT
Ciuffo, a high school catcher out of South Carolina, was selected No. 21 overall in this month’s First-Year Year Player Draft. The 18-year-old will receive a $1,974,700 bonus, which matches the recommended slot value for the pick. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays will officially announce the signing tomorrow.
Here was Matthew Pouliot’s write-up at the time of the pick:
The second high school catcher to go, Ciuffo has a promising left-handed bat with quite a bit of power potential. He’s still rather raw behind the plate, but he has a good arm and the tools to turn into an adept catcher in time.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 42
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 74
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 26
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 18
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (98)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)