Jun 20, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Ciuffo, a high school catcher out of South Carolina, was selected No. 21 overall in this month’s First-Year Year Player Draft. The 18-year-old will receive a $1,974,700 bonus, which matches the recommended slot value for the pick. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays will officially announce the signing tomorrow.
Here was Matthew Pouliot’s write-up at the time of the pick:
The second high school catcher to go, Ciuffo has a promising left-handed bat with quite a bit of power potential. He’s still rather raw behind the plate, but he has a good arm and the tools to turn into an adept catcher in time.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (86)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)