Jun 20, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Ciuffo, a high school catcher out of South Carolina, was selected No. 21 overall in this month’s First-Year Year Player Draft. The 18-year-old will receive a $1,974,700 bonus, which matches the recommended slot value for the pick. Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times reports that the Rays will officially announce the signing tomorrow.
Here was Matthew Pouliot’s write-up at the time of the pick:
The second high school catcher to go, Ciuffo has a promising left-handed bat with quite a bit of power potential. He’s still rather raw behind the plate, but he has a good arm and the tools to turn into an adept catcher in time.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40