Jun 20, 2013, 10:34 AM EST
Over at Sports on Earth Jed Lund takes a look at the pros and cons of cracking down on beanball wars like we saw between the Dbacks and Dodgers last week. Even though I’m in the “throwing at heads is bad and they really need to stop” camp, Lund makes some good points about how difficult it is to really police that sort of thing.
But his best argument is that we probably shouldn’t even try to stop them because the ensuing fights are hilarious:
The Diamondbacks-Dodgers “melee” might as well serve as the Ur-text for these explosions of … not much, really. It not only featured every unintentionally comic aspect of baseball fights, but it executed every one of them with transcendent hilarity. There were the punches that sort of went at, like, I dunno, air? — like two guys ineptly trying to high-five each other with closed fists. There were men yelling and trying very hard not to break free from their teammates who were “holding them back” in that put-upon, here-we-go-again bit of restraint theater.
He has a point. And I think he perfectly captures the dialogue the players seem to be having as they prepare to not-fight. Check it out.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 19
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 29
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 92
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)