Jun 20, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
Toronto keeps on humming along. They won their eighth straight last night, beating the Rockies 5-2. They are now 12-4 in the month of June and only seven and a half games out of first place. Thanks, mostly, to the pitching getting on track. The pen was great last night — it’s been a strength all season — but the rotation is becoming more reliable as well.
Here’s the fun part: they’re getting hot just as they turn to face their betters in the AL East. They have a three-game series against Baltimore ahead of them, where they will whip out Dickey, Wang and Johnson, much to my juvenile glee. Then they get three against the Rays and four against the Red Sox.
If they stay hot in this stretch, they’re back in the race. After everyone declared them dead.
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 53
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)