Jun 20, 2013, 9:44 AM EST
Toronto keeps on humming along. They won their eighth straight last night, beating the Rockies 5-2. They are now 12-4 in the month of June and only seven and a half games out of first place. Thanks, mostly, to the pitching getting on track. The pen was great last night — it’s been a strength all season — but the rotation is becoming more reliable as well.
Here’s the fun part: they’re getting hot just as they turn to face their betters in the AL East. They have a three-game series against Baltimore ahead of them, where they will whip out Dickey, Wang and Johnson, much to my juvenile glee. Then they get three against the Rays and four against the Red Sox.
If they stay hot in this stretch, they’re back in the race. After everyone declared them dead.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 6
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 12
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 25
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)