Jun 20, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
A great story over at SB Nation by David Davis. It’s about the 1988 Dodgers and what they were before and since. It’s about his sister’s suicide just before the World Series that year which caused him to miss it. It’s also about the ball Kirk Gibson hit into the right field pavilion off Dennis Eckersley, and what became of it.
What did become of it? No one knows:
What’s also been lost is Gibson’s home run ball. Despite the TV coverage and the thousands of eyewitnesses, the ball never surfaced. It is the missing talisman, the Rosebud of Chavez Ravine. Its absence has signaled the end of the City of Angels’ aura that once protected the Dodgers franchise.
There are those who have claimed ownership, but the ball has still not been found and, even if it was, its authenticity would be questioned.
But as Davis’ story makes clear, the ball is just the MacGuffin in this story. For him it will always be tied with his sister’s death. For Gibson it will always be a part of the greatest moment of his career. For millions of us who watched that game it will count as one of the all-time baseball highlights we’ll ever see. And the fact that the ball itself is nowhere to be found means very little.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 107
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 39
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 5
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 4
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 367
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (367)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (107)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)