Jun 20, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Racing mascots — in real life or merely on jumbotrons — have been a part of the baseball landscape for many years now. The oldest among them — at least the oldest among them that is more elaborate than the old scoreboard dot race — is the Klement’s Sausage Race at Brewers’ games. It began on June 27, 1993, and the Brewers are celebrating its 20th anniversary.
This release at MLB.com has a lot of Pfun Pfacts about the sausage race. Including video of the first race from 20 years ago. Bratwurst beat the Italian Sausage and the Polish Sausage. There were only three sausages then. Hot Dog and Chorizo would come later.
And now you know more than you ever wanted to know about the sausage races.
(thanks to Kopy for the heads up)
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 9
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)