Jun 20, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT
Racing mascots — in real life or merely on jumbotrons — have been a part of the baseball landscape for many years now. The oldest among them — at least the oldest among them that is more elaborate than the old scoreboard dot race — is the Klement’s Sausage Race at Brewers’ games. It began on June 27, 1993, and the Brewers are celebrating its 20th anniversary.
This release at MLB.com has a lot of Pfun Pfacts about the sausage race. Including video of the first race from 20 years ago. Bratwurst beat the Italian Sausage and the Polish Sausage. There were only three sausages then. Hot Dog and Chorizo would come later.
And now you know more than you ever wanted to know about the sausage races.
(thanks to Kopy for the heads up)
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 89
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (89)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)