Angel Pagan carted off the field during his rehab assignment

Jun 21, 2013, 8:52 AM EDT

angel pagan getty Getty Images

Bad news from Stockton, California, where Giants center fielder Angel Pagan was carted off the field last night.

Pagan was rehabbing a hamstring for the San Jose Giants when, in the ninth inning against the Stockton Ports, he hit a ground ball to second base but pulled up lame three-quarters up the line. He went to the ground and stayed there for several minutes before being loaded onto a groundskeeper’s cart and taken from the field.

Pagan hurt his hamstring in late May and decided to get platlet-rich plasma injections instead of surgery. Assuming his hamstring is back to square one or worse, it’s quite possible that Pagan will need surgery now and will be gone for the bulk of the rest of the reason at the very least.

1. loungefly74 - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:33 AM

ugh…not good. he will be missed as he is a good “chemistry/glue” guy.

on another note, alright! a Stockton reference!

2. paperlions - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Pagan is about to turn 32 and has had exactly 2.5 good year and been an average to below average player the rest of the time. He’s being paid $10M/year through 2016. Yeah, that’ll work out well.

• neoshweaty - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:59 AM

I thought he was younger… When he was on the mets, he was just another player but he had a hell of a year for the Giants last year. This might be another Aubrey Huff situation.

3. stex52 - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Oh crap. I like Angel. But it sounds like we may not count a lot more for this year.

• byjiminy - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:44 AM

this year? or ever? 32-year-old speed guys with bad legs don’t tend to have career resurgences. I’m rooting for him, but I fear this is Luis Castillo territory. I hope I’m wrong — he’s on my fantasy team, and I like the Giants — but these multiyear contracts for aging veterans always have more downside than upside, unless the aging veteran is Barry Bonds.

• stex52 - Jun 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Also on my fantasy team. He hadn’t been too bad until he got hurt. Looks like a bad investment now, though.

4. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Lew Wolff was seen fleeing the grassy knoll beyond the right field fences…

5. duckthefodgers - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Waste of money but at least Juan Perez is doing a hell of a job replacing him especially defensively.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3102)