Jun 21, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Per the team’s official Twitter account, the Angels have placed left-handed starter Jason Vargas on the disabled list due to a blood clot found near his left armpit. To fill the empty spot on the roster, the Angels promoted Billy Buckner from Triple-A Salt Lake. Buckner carries a 4.50 ERA in 72 innings spanning 12 starts in the Minors.
After starting the year with a series of rough starts, Vargas appeared to turn the corner recently. In seven starts dating back to May 14, Vargas posted a 3.06 ERA in 47 innings, striking out 35 and walking 14. The Angels had acquired him in the off-season in the trade that sent Kendrys Morales to Seattle.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (126)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (98)