Jun 21, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
Per the team’s official Twitter account, the Angels have placed left-handed starter Jason Vargas on the disabled list due to a blood clot found near his left armpit. To fill the empty spot on the roster, the Angels promoted Billy Buckner from Triple-A Salt Lake. Buckner carries a 4.50 ERA in 72 innings spanning 12 starts in the Minors.
After starting the year with a series of rough starts, Vargas appeared to turn the corner recently. In seven starts dating back to May 14, Vargas posted a 3.06 ERA in 47 innings, striking out 35 and walking 14. The Angels had acquired him in the off-season in the trade that sent Kendrys Morales to Seattle.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 10
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 14
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 162
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (162)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)