Jun 21, 2013, 7:07 PM EDT
Depending on who does what tonight, this could change, but at the moment, Miguel Cabrera and Mike Trout are #1 and #2 in Wins Above Replacement at the moment, according to FanGraphs. Cabrera is at 4.4 and Trout is at 4.3. Cabrera, who achieved baseball’s first Triple Crown in 45 years, beat out Trout for the award last year after a very heated series of debates among writers and fans, pitting traditional stats against Sabermetrics.
Thankfully, Chris Davis, Evan Longoria, and Manny Machado have also crossed the 4-WAR barrier thus far. If any one of the three can keep pace with Cabrera and Trout by season’s end, it may save us from having to relive last off-season’s undying debate.
Hilariously enough, though Cabrera once again leads the league in batting average and RBI, Davis leads Cabrera by seven home runs at the moment, meaning that Cabrera may not win another Triple Crown. If you compare Cabrera’s production thus far to last year, though, he is producing more this year, having improved 29 points in average, 57 points in on-base percentage, and 24 points in slugging percentage. In fact, his Triple Crown year may be the worst, statistically, of Cabrera’s last four seasons.
It’s way too early to think about the end-of-season awards, what with about 55 percent of the regular season left to play, but it’s interesting to ponder.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)