Clayton Richard exits start after throwing only two pitches

Jun 21, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT

Clayton Richard AP

Padres starter Clayton Richard left tonight’s start against the Dodgers after throwing only two pitches to lead-off hitter Yasiel Puig. The team will release details once they are known. MLB.com’s Padres beat writer Corey Brock suggests “something really wrong”.

Richard was replaced by Tim Stauffer, who was promptly hit in the leg with a ball off of the bat of Adrian Gonzalez, but he stayed in the game, allowing one run in the first frame.

1. nbjays - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:47 PM

Puig is so powerful he can knock a pitcher out of a game without even hitting a ball. :-)

Now I give it about 5 minutes before some Padres fan wants to see him suspended for it.

• gloccamorra - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:10 AM

Puig wasn’t even batting. He knocked out the pitcher from the on-deck circle. Of course he should be suspended, he wasn’t officially announced yet.

• kiwannabee - Jun 22, 2013 at 2:44 AM

What was that, bitter Dodger fan? I couldn’t hear you all the way down there in the basement.

If a Dodger fan whines and there’s no one around to hear it, is he still a complete tool?

• koufaxmitzvah - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:58 PM

What if OP is a Blue Jays fan? But, yes, I see what you’re saying. Dodgers fans are “Tools,” and you’ve got the knowledge that we all should behold.

I think in Canada you’re considered a Hoser.

2. pisano - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:36 AM

Hey Padres, call the Yankees, I’ll bet you can get Phil Hughes and Joba right now for Chase Headley heads up, and maybe the Yanks will pick up some contract also.

3. icanspeel - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:54 AM

Not to sound mean, but Richard getting hurt probably helps the Padres. His last start was good, but he pitched terribly this year.

4. spedman24 - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:23 AM

I bet the Pads tonight, I thought Kershaw left when I saw the final, lol

5. vanmorrissey - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Agree with that but Bill, get yourself straight. Puig was not leadoff, Ellis was, I was there dude. Sloppy.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3915)