Jun 21, 2013, 10:30 PM EST
Phillies starter Cole Hamels allowed four runs over six innings to the Mets tonight. As his offense once again failed to muster up a typical amount of run support — though three must have looked like a king’s ransom — Hamels was saddled with his Major League-leading 11th loss of the season. According to ESPN, Hamels entered the night having received the third-fewest runs of support on average at 2.75, trailing Stephen Strasburg (2.50) and Ricky Nolasco (2.53).
Hamels did not pitch particularly well tonight as he walked three and otherwise had mediocre control throughout his six innings. However, over his six previous starts in which he went 1-4, Hamels struck out 42, walked four (two intentionally), and allowed just two home runs in 37.1 innings. He was victimized by a .375 BABIP.
It’s been a weird year for the lefty. You can’t say he has pitched poorly over the course of the whole season, nor can you say he has been entirely unlucky.
This is almost incomprehensible: Cole Hamels is the first Phillies pitcher with 11 losses before the end of June since 1937.
— Matt Gelb (@magelb) June 22, 2013
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 69
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 47
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)