Columnist declares Jurickson Profar overrated after 121 plate appearances

Jun 21, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT

Jurickson Profar AP

Randy Galloway of the Star-Telegram declaring Jurickson Profar not ready for prime time:

A year ago, Profar was ranked the No. 1 prospect in baseball. Number One. So said such national media outlets as Baseball America and ESPN … As late June approaches, and as the 20-year-old Profar surpassed the 100 mark this week in plate appearances for the season, and as he plays now as a lineup regular, the early verdict is what?

Overrated.

Galloway tries to lay this at the feet of unnamed scouts who believe this, but he’s writing it because he too believes it. Which is nuts, of course, considering that Profar has a grand total of 121 major league plate appearances, 104 of which have come this year. Kinda makes me wonder what kind of scouts he’s talking to.

He also tries to play this as “hey, maybe it’s not fair, but in the world of Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado prospects are held to a different standard these days.” What he doesn’t mention: in his 135 plate appearances Trout hit .220/.281/.390. In his first 202 plate appearances Machado hit .262/.294/.445. At the moment Profar has a line of .272/.327/.380. Not too terribly different than those guys.

Which isn’t to say Profar will be as good as those guys have become. Hardly anyone would, and if they’re your standard your standard is pretty damn high. But the fact that Profar is holding his own in the majors at about the same point into his career as they were says some pretty good things about him.

1. GoneYickitty - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

He could end up being ok, but I don’t see him likely to be a superstar, which is what I expect from the #1 prospect in all of baseball. I don’t like his approach, or seeming lack thereof, at the plate, and you can tell that by fewer than 100 plate appearances. He could change that, but you don’t see that often enough to count on it.

Definitely a good player, just don’t see how he was #1 overall.

• eightyraw - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:15 PM

His approach? Are you serious? He walked 12% of the time at A, AA, and AAA. Meanwhile, he struck out in fewer than 15% of his PAs at each stop. He is also the youngest player in MLB by four months. He hit his first career HR at a younger age than Bryce Harper. And let’s see what some actual scouts have to say about his approach:

John Sickels – “His plate discipline is sound and he does a good job making contact and drawing walks.”
      BPro – “Excellent pitch recognition skills/strike zone judgment”
      BA – named winner of “Best Strike Zone Discipline” and “Best Hitter for Average” in the Rangers Org in 2011 and 2012

• GoneYickitty - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Right, because that’s all there is to approach … drawing walks and not striking out. Because if you slap at one early in the count instead of looking for something to drive, that’s a good approach right?

We will see, but I would bet money on him being less than an All Star and the percentages favor my view.

• eightyraw - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Find me one scout that questions his approach. You don’t know what you are talking about.

• Jon - Apr 25, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Guess what? Profar still stinks. BUST

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Galloway would have thought Willie Mays sucked, too. What did Mays go – 0-for-53 when he first came up? Love dem small sample sizes.

• cowboysoldiertx - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Gak is a straight jack ass and no one respects him.

• cur68 - Jun 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Yickety, most managers would hand over their own child to have this kid on their team. He isn’t anywhere near his ceiling yet.

2. flamethrower101 - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:36 PM

“But hey, if you want to play the “overrated” game when a kid’s career has hardly begun, by all means go ahead and do it.”

I agree whole-heartedly…just so long as he’s willing to eat his own words when (and if, of course) Profar starts mashing like Trout, Harper, or Machado.

• flamethrower101 - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:39 PM

And that’s not to say he will mash like those guys, but for God’s sake he barely has a full month’s worth of AB’s. Let him grow.

• gloccamorra - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:03 PM

Of course he won’t mash like them. Two outfielders and a third basemen are expected to mash. Profar is a middle infielder, more valuable for defense, a little speed and OBP. He was a number one pick because middle infielders are in short supply and good ones are needed for a stable pitching staff. Next, Galloway will compare the trainers to the ballclub’s doctor.

3. anthonyverna - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Calling Dom Brown. . .

4. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I fully agree. He is completely, terribly over-rated. But, since I’m such a nice guy, I’ll take him off your hands for you. I think I have a middle-relief pitcher laying around here somewhere….

• Bryz - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:19 PM

FYI, you misspelled “Wieters” in your handle.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:17 PM

lol, I know. It’s a bit of an inside joke. His name is commonly misspelled, by writers, scouts, and even team officials.

5. youknowwhatsgoodforshoulderpain - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Galloway is an idiot.

6. pipkin42 - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Also, and I’m saying this as an Orioles fan who is super-excited about Machado, his BABIP this year is .373. This is likely unsustainable.

Will he get better in his core skills to compensate for that? Probably. And Profar’s himself is .315, which is high (but closer to sustainable, probalby). But c’mon.

• Alex K - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:22 PM

I wouldn’t even call .315 that high considering that that is right around his MiLB career number. Also, hitters are more apt to sustain higher BABIP’s than pitchers.

.373, however, is high and will most likely drop. Machado’s MiLB BABIP was in the .280′s – .290′s.

7. kingscourt25 - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:55 PM

I think he’s somewhat right.

The hype around Profar was that he played a premium position and he’s super advanced for his age. As of now, he’s not a shortstop and won’t be for the time being. That’s going to hurt his value, even if he’s still playing an infield position.

He’s still ridiculously young so this guy is an idiot for giving up on him.

• eightyraw - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

Take a look at the careers of players who made major league debuts at the age of 19. Profar hasn’t stopped being super advanced for his age. Also, Profar now projects to be elite at 2B instead of above average at SS (similar to the slide down the defensive spectrum taken by Machado).

8. mianfr - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:57 PM

All shortstop prospects are going to get a little overrated because there are like three or four ever who could stick at the position and hit like first basemen right out of the gate, so I think this is a natural reaction to his first chunk, even if he hasn’t been playing short.

Whatever, feed the trolls.

9. stephenolszewski - Jun 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

You want to see overrated, go see Matt LaPorta

10. heyblueyoustink - Jun 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I think being overrated is overrated.

11. braddavery - Jun 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I wonder if he felt the same about Mike Trout’s disastrous 2011 season.

12. gbrim - Jun 21, 2013 at 6:42 PM

I have only read one of Galloway’s columns, but its not too early to say he is overrated….

13. cocheese000 - Jun 21, 2013 at 6:51 PM

Was Galloway also the one that called wieters one of the “greatest busts of all time”

14. unclemosesgreen - Jun 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Dustin Pedroia’s first 170 PA’s or so – OPS around .540.

Guess what the Boston pitchfork-wielding media including one idiot devil-ginger named Dan Shaugnessy had to say about Pedroia, and about Francona for sticking with him into May 2007? Yeah, you can guess.

15. andreweac - Jun 21, 2013 at 6:57 PM

He’s no Michael Young.

• paperlions - Jun 21, 2013 at 7:02 PM

You are correct. He switched positions without bitching to the media or asking to be traded.

• historiophiliac - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:18 PM

So, he has problems expressing his feelings?

• paperlions - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Very clever.

• historiophiliac - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Oh, c’mon. You didn’t laugh? I was trying. :(

• paperlions - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, I laughed. I rolled my eyes. I sighed. I shook my head. Then….I went and made a martini. Here have an olive…..you earned it.

• historiophiliac - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM

Winning! :D

That went well with my beer. Thanks! he he

• paperlions - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:37 PM

You are just in a good mood because Jose Tigre was put out to pasture.

• historiophiliac - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:38 PM

Well, that and I made you laugh. We still have two Jose Tigres on tap, so we’re good. I know you’re worried.

• paperlions - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:41 PM

I discovered last week that the Cardinals have a Jhonny in their system. A pitcher in A-ball named Jhonny Polanco.

• historiophiliac - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Never hurts to have some extra jhu-jhu. Of course, it’s totally unfair that you already have the best OK goodness, but maybe you’ll get some whalkoffs too.

16. rondayne33 - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Righhhhhhttt…..and no one is still able to admit this about Jason Heyward?

17. ningenito78 - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

Re-tawds.

18. kev86 - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Please call the Mets if you want to trade him. We could use him. Thanks! Mets in 2015!

19. contraryguy - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Sounds like a case of Puig envy to me.

20. kelshannon19 - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:50 AM

If this guy was a superstar he wouldn’t hit .270 in AAA. With not much power.

21. 1justthetip3 - Aug 6, 2013 at 8:03 AM

reporting on MLB has exposed randy galloway for the no talent ,uncredible, grasping at straws type of journalist that he is!!! My sources around the journalism world tell me that they are very surprised that anyone would even hire him!!! also note that the majority of my sources say that besides being a dreadful writer many of them experienced hemorrhaging of the eyes by just reading his articles!!! Also my sources all unanimously agree that Randy Galloway is a complete J*RK OFF and would be doing the world a favor by switching from writing about sports to something a little more his speed such as what kim kardashian order for dinner last night or perhaps who took home the blue ribbon at the worlds biggest pumpkin festival!!! Randy Galloway go F**K YOURSELF, have a nice day, and i hope you catch herpes!!!!!!

22. Jon - Apr 25, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Calcaterra was right.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2469)