Jun 21, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
A year ago, Profar was ranked the No. 1 prospect in baseball. Number One. So said such national media outlets as Baseball America and ESPN … As late June approaches, and as the 20-year-old Profar surpassed the 100 mark this week in plate appearances for the season, and as he plays now as a lineup regular, the early verdict is what?
Galloway tries to lay this at the feet of unnamed scouts who believe this, but he’s writing it because he too believes it. Which is nuts, of course, considering that Profar has a grand total of 121 major league plate appearances, 104 of which have come this year. Kinda makes me wonder what kind of scouts he’s talking to.
He also tries to play this as “hey, maybe it’s not fair, but in the world of Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Manny Machado prospects are held to a different standard these days.” What he doesn’t mention: in his 135 plate appearances Trout hit .220/.281/.390. In his first 202 plate appearances Machado hit .262/.294/.445. At the moment Profar has a line of .272/.327/.380. Not too terribly different than those guys.
Which isn’t to say Profar will be as good as those guys have become. Hardly anyone would, and if they’re your standard your standard is pretty damn high. But the fact that Profar is holding his own in the majors at about the same point into his career as they were says some pretty good things about him.
But hey, if you want to play the “overrated” game when a kid’s career has hardly begun, by all means go ahead and do it.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)