Jun 21, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Earlier this week Robin Ventura gave hitting coach Jeff Manto a vote of confidence despite the White Sox’s offense scoring the fewest runs the league, but Frank Thomas thinks changes are on the way.
Thomas, who in addition to being a “team ambassador” served as a television analyst on CSN Chicago yesterday, said: “I think the writing is on the wall. Something is going to happen real soon.”
That could mean trades and/or firings, but Thomas said this specifically about Ventura and the coaching staff:
Robin has showed a great trait as a very good manager in protecting his coaches, in protecting his players … Sooner or later, the finger is going to start pointing and the blame is going to come out, and we’re going to see that very shortly.
Adding to the drama is that Rick Hahn is in his first season as general manager, although longtime GM Kenny Williams remains heavily involved after moving up to executive vice president. How far will Ventura stick up for his coaches? And will Hahn try to blow up a roster Williams built in the name of retooling for the future?
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 0
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 174
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (174)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)