Jun 21, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Earlier this week Robin Ventura gave hitting coach Jeff Manto a vote of confidence despite the White Sox’s offense scoring the fewest runs the league, but Frank Thomas thinks changes are on the way.
Thomas, who in addition to being a “team ambassador” served as a television analyst on CSN Chicago yesterday, said: “I think the writing is on the wall. Something is going to happen real soon.”
That could mean trades and/or firings, but Thomas said this specifically about Ventura and the coaching staff:
Robin has showed a great trait as a very good manager in protecting his coaches, in protecting his players … Sooner or later, the finger is going to start pointing and the blame is going to come out, and we’re going to see that very shortly.
Adding to the drama is that Rick Hahn is in his first season as general manager, although longtime GM Kenny Williams remains heavily involved after moving up to executive vice president. How far will Ventura stick up for his coaches? And will Hahn try to blow up a roster Williams built in the name of retooling for the future?
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)