Jun 21, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
Earlier this week Robin Ventura gave hitting coach Jeff Manto a vote of confidence despite the White Sox’s offense scoring the fewest runs the league, but Frank Thomas thinks changes are on the way.
Thomas, who in addition to being a “team ambassador” served as a television analyst on CSN Chicago yesterday, said: “I think the writing is on the wall. Something is going to happen real soon.”
That could mean trades and/or firings, but Thomas said this specifically about Ventura and the coaching staff:
Robin has showed a great trait as a very good manager in protecting his coaches, in protecting his players … Sooner or later, the finger is going to start pointing and the blame is going to come out, and we’re going to see that very shortly.
Adding to the drama is that Rick Hahn is in his first season as general manager, although longtime GM Kenny Williams remains heavily involved after moving up to executive vice president. How far will Ventura stick up for his coaches? And will Hahn try to blow up a roster Williams built in the name of retooling for the future?
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)