Jun 21, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Earlier this week Robin Ventura gave hitting coach Jeff Manto a vote of confidence despite the White Sox’s offense scoring the fewest runs the league, but Frank Thomas thinks changes are on the way.
Thomas, who in addition to being a “team ambassador” served as a television analyst on CSN Chicago yesterday, said: “I think the writing is on the wall. Something is going to happen real soon.”
That could mean trades and/or firings, but Thomas said this specifically about Ventura and the coaching staff:
Robin has showed a great trait as a very good manager in protecting his coaches, in protecting his players … Sooner or later, the finger is going to start pointing and the blame is going to come out, and we’re going to see that very shortly.
Adding to the drama is that Rick Hahn is in his first season as general manager, although longtime GM Kenny Williams remains heavily involved after moving up to executive vice president. How far will Ventura stick up for his coaches? And will Hahn try to blow up a roster Williams built in the name of retooling for the future?
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)