Jun 21, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT
Jon Heyman of CBS Sports suggests second baseman Robinson Cano and the Yankees are far apart on terms of a contract extension, making it increasingly likely that Cano will head into free agency after the season.
They may well talk, but it remains uncertain whether they have anything to talk about — making free agency a very likely outcome for the Yankees’ star second baseman at this point.
That doesn’t mean he won’t end up with the Yankees — word from other players is that the Yankees remain by far and away Cano’s preference, no surprise — it just means there’s a very good chance he won’t have a new deal with anyone until at least November or perhaps later.
Cano is earning $15 million this year, the second of two option years that were part of the four-year $30 million contract he signed in February 2008 to avoid arbitration. Most estimates have him earning in the neighborhood of $200 million. He will turn 31 in October, meaning his contract will take him through most of his late-30’s.
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 44
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 53
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 30
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Royals’ bullpen blows no-hit bid in the eighth inning against the Tigers 7
- Alex Rodriguez hits a pinch-hit home run to tie Willie Mays at 660 home runs 93
- Video: Remembering Rickey Henderson’s record-setting stolen base 31
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (362)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)