Heyman: Robinson Cano, Yankees far apart on extension

Jun 21, 2013, 11:25 PM EDT

Robinson Cano, Yan Gomes

Jon Heyman of CBS Sports suggests second baseman Robinson Cano and the Yankees are far apart on terms of a contract extension, making it increasingly likely that Cano will head into free agency after the season.

Heyman writes:

They may well talk, but it remains uncertain whether they have anything to talk about — making free agency a very likely outcome for the Yankees’ star second baseman at this point.

That doesn’t mean he won’t end up with the Yankees — word from other players is that the Yankees remain by far and away Cano’s preference, no surprise — it just means there’s a very good chance he won’t have a new deal with anyone until at least November or perhaps later.

Cano is earning $15 million this year, the second of two option years that were part of the four-year $30 million contract he signed in February 2008 to avoid arbitration. Most estimates have him earning in the neighborhood of $200 million. He will turn 31 in October, meaning his contract will take him through most of his late-30’s.

1. cackalackyank - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:33 PM

No surprises here…if you are Robbie Cano…would you just automatically sign up for another 6+ years like this one or maybe even worse…or would you wait and see what is out there…and if by some miracle the Yankees decide to try and get younger…or something crazy like that.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 22, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Dude, it’s the Yankees, do you think they sit back and not compete for the championship every year, there is a reason they are not in first by 5 games right now, they have 75% of a all star and HOF infield on the DL, they lost their centerfielder and first baseman twice.
      I can’t see where Cano will have a better chance to win in a BIGGER market and surrounded
      by all star, hof team mates and good class coaches and front office. I have NO idea where
      ROC Nation can come up with a better option, yes he could probably make more money, ask Pujols and Hamilton how that’s going. I want Cano to get what he should and stay in the Bronx.

• cackalackyank - Jun 22, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Guess you missed the part where I mentioned
        the Yankees need to get YOUNGER. Hamilton and Pujols have made the Angels OLDER, as in they are part of the problem, not a solution. The Cardinals are doing just fine without Pujols btw. Because they got or developed players that were younger and had talent. If you take Cano and Gardner out of the equation what do the Yankees have? Right now, and unless Arod and Jeter are prepared to defy time, for the forseeable future what real incentive does an opposing pitcher have to give Cano a pitch he can hit? (That’s already showing in his Batting average btw.) A marquee hitter with out another good hitter or two in the lineup to protect him will not stay a marquee hitter for long, because they will not see the pitches they need to succeed. In reality to see what the farm system holds to build around Cano they need to stop scrapping the waiver wire for the has beens and never will be’s. Injuries are not the real heart of the problem, they just exposed and laid bare for all to see the weakness that has been building over the last 4 or 5 seasons. Bad FA contracts, prospects traded for little or no real benefit, and most importantly a massive overrate or underperform of prospects that are kept have left the Yankees where they are now.See Hughes, Phil; Romine, Austin for examples As we have seen even when they get these injured guys back, they are so brittle they break again almost immediately. It really wouldn’t matter if only 2 guys were hurt at this rate not 4.

2. jaysfan64 - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Can’t see the Yankees ever, ever letting Cano just walk away…has a FA ever left the Yankees in the prime of his career? Can’t remember one…

• nbjays - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Which is a shame, because, just like Stanton in Miami, Cano deserves to have more than just AAA players and geriatrics around him in the lineup. Problem is, if the Yankees throw all that money at him, that’s all they’ll be able to afford to support him with.

• jolink653 - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Lol is that a serious comment? Cano is all they’ll be able to afford? The Yankees print their own money

• bigharold - Jun 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM

“Cano is all they’ll be able to afford?”

It’s not so much what they can afford is what they are willing to afford. After A-Rod’s contract I don’t see the Yankees giving out a 8-10 year deal for any player for a while. Unless of course that Trout kid or Harper become available. And, I think money per se isn”t the sticking point. I don’t see the Yankees thinking that Cano isn’t going to get a raise but he isn’t going to a really long term deal. Cano, I’m sure is thinking he’s earned it and he’s not A-Rod nor should he be judged based on the stupid extension that Hank Steinbrenner handed out.

The Yankees are doing a lot of talking about getting under 189 mil but I think that’s only a one year deal. Once they reset the luxury tax rate I can see them getting a bit loser with the payroll. Seeing as the Yankees attendance, like a lot of MLB is down, I can see the Yankees reversing course on payroll if it goes down significantly. And, if they miss the playoffs all bets are off. They could reverse course in a big way, .. think back to 2008 and the 2009 FA they signed.

The obvious flaw in free agency, from a teams perspective, is that you are paying for past performance. Frequently by the time a player hits FA most, if not all of his best years are past him, i.e. Poljus and Hamilton. In this case Cano should provide representative production for at least 2-3 season after he signs but then it is very likely to ebb. The only question is how quickly and how much.

I’d bet that the Yankees are thinking 6 years with an option but will have to go with 7 with an option. But, these are GMSlll’s Yankees. These are Harold’s and I really don’t see him going all in for Cano, .. unless they don’t make the playoffs.

• cackalackyank - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Pretty much agree with Harold on this. The real issue is getting past next year. The problem is that the year before they will be past that “issue” is going to be a year of massive change. No more Rivera, no more Pettitte (most likely), no more Granderson (most likely), No more Kuroda (in all likellyhood), No more Hughes, No more Joba (that could be a plus), No more Cervelli (most likely, plus we see that Romine is not the answer at least with the bat), plus you can kid yourself into thinking that Jeter is going to accept that 8 mil option for next year but he is not going to take 8 mil. He either comes back does well and wants more, or he comes back struggles and calls it a career. All this makes the Cano situation a lot more complex than saying “The Yankees print their own money”. If the only concern was “do we sign Cano to a big deal or do we try to keep Grandersom too” its a no brainer to “print” a relatively large chunk for Cano and say ‘bye to Grandy. But as we can see this year, no matter how good Cano is he can’t do it all by himself, and that shopping list is even longer than this past off season’s. We have also learned that waiver wire has beens and our current prospects are not the answer.

• gibbyfan - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:46 AM

bet they wish they had let a couple walk

• paperlions - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Cano will be 31 next season. They’ve already seen his prime. The Yankees can obviously afford it. But in all likelihood, another long-term deal into a player’s late 30s will turn out poorly for the Yankees. The problem with a model that relies on overpaying players after their prime is that you are paying premium prices to buy into a declining market. While many star players will remain above average through their early 30s, many are nearly done by 36….and paying those types of players like they will contend for an MVP award every year is a losing venture. If the Yankees are going to keep competing for a championship every year, they are going to have to change the way they do business….because teams are now locking up their young star players through their prime instead of letting them get to FA when they are 27-29.

• inversedoob - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:47 AM

nick swisher?

3. duckthefodgers - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:53 PM

Giants would be such a perfect fit.

• 18thstreet - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:09 AM

If I were Cano, I’d definitely test the market. The Dodgers are crazy, and I’d take their offer to get money money out of the Yankees.

4. 13arod - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:55 PM

If he becomes a free agent then he will leave the yanks

5. yankeesgameday - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:17 AM

My gut tells me Cano winds up on the Tigers.
    But that could just be that worm from last night’s tequila.

6. pisano - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:31 AM

Look at all the Yankee long term contracts, most all have bit them in the ass. They give this one some serious thought.

7. pisano - Jun 22, 2013 at 1:33 AM

correction, They should give this one some serious thought.

8. mrklutch1011 - Jun 22, 2013 at 6:02 AM

The back of his jersey will forever only have a number on it and when all is said and done that number will be placed on a wall standing 200 some feet from where he worked. Thats what it means to wear pinstripes!

PS: Cashman is one hell of a GM

• yankeefan1950 - Jun 22, 2013 at 7:52 AM

You should be ashamed of yourself, drinking at 6 in the morning.

• turdfurgerson68 - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Last time i checked Dodger stadium didn’t have player numbers on any wall.

Citi Field either….

• cackalackyank - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Citi Field?…you are delirious. Dodger Stadium is being renovated though..so you never know.

9. s2mikey - Jun 22, 2013 at 7:43 AM

Baseball players are so overpaid it isn’t even funny. Its unbelievable. They are in the worst shape of any pro athletes and stand around most of the time. The sport also has the most disparity between haves and have nots. I’ma Yankee fan at heart and always will be but it’s tough to watch and get into baseball anymore. Just getting stupider by the season.

• 18thstreet - Jun 22, 2013 at 8:08 AM

You should try out. It sounds like easy money.

• jwbiii - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

You’re going to back that one up, mikey. What are the minimum, average, and maximum salaries in the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MSL?

• American of African Descent - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it.

Besides, with few exceptions (Wilpon), I’d rather be an owner than a player any day of the week.

10. uyf1950 - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Sorry but I just don’t see the Yankees ownership coming anywhere close to 8 or more years and $200MM. And I for one don’t and wouldn’t blame them. If there is another team out there foolish enough to offer what would be a 31 year old 2nd basemen that type of money and years I wish them and Cano luck. That’s just my opinion.

• dcarroll73 - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM

uyf1950, I agree entirely. I’ve been a yankee fan all my life (60+), but it makes little sense to commit that sort of money to a second baseman in his late 30s which Robbie would be in the later years of such a contract. I would love to see something like 4 years for really good money which he well deserves, but I expect he will follow the money with longer years if he can get it. So I guess my question then would be, what are the Yanks’ options for 2nd? I’m not well versed in the prospects, and if that doesn’t look promising, any 2nd basemen besides Cano about to hit free agency?

• uyf1950 - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Not counting Cano then actually the free agent market for 2nd baseman in both 2014 and 2015 is pretty bare right now. As for Yankee prospects the closest one to major league ready is Corban Joseph which the Yankees played a little bit in a mix and match infield earlier in May. Also, David Adams who they currently have playing 3rd really has spent most of his time in the minors playing 2nd base. Finally the only other one in the system right now is Angelo Gumbs a 20 year old in High A Tampa.
        So probably the best bet for the Yankees if they don’t re-sign Cano is trying to find a trade partner to secure a 2nd baseman if they fail to keep Cano. But as I like to say where there is a will there’s a way.

• pisano - Jun 22, 2013 at 10:57 AM

uyf1950…. my friend, I couldn’t agree with you more. I feel five is plenty, and if the money is right six tops. I understand the line up they have now isn’t conducive to Cano having better numbers, but in a walk year and wanting an eight year contract and batting around .270, I don’t see the Yankees giving in to him, at least I hope they don’t.

• uyf1950 - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Pisano, my friend. I would love for it to be just a 5 year deal but I doubt that will cut it regardless of how much it is on a yearly basis. My personal preference is 6 years/$22 to $24MM per with maybe a 7th year vesting option. The vesting option that somehow incorporates that he not be on the DL or have missed X amount of days during the 6th year of the contract. Any more then that and I’d wish him luck with his new team. BTW, I’d make it clear that, that was my maximum offer now so that if he wasn’t interested or rejected it I’d trade him and hopefully get something good for him in a trade sooner rather then just a draft pick by making a qualifying offer to him. Which certainly the Yankees will make him if he’s not re-signed by the end of the World Series. That’s just my opinion.

• mikefoxtrot - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:35 PM

they’ll meet somewhere between 8/200M and 6/150M

11. jfk69 - Jun 22, 2013 at 9:59 AM

20 million a year for seven years…The last 2 years are a gift. Second basemen don’t age well past 35, Couple that with fact..HE DON’T PUT FANNYS IN THE SEATS!
    Nice player but not a 200 million dollar player. Reminds me of Alomar..First 3 years will be great..Then watch out!

12. jayscarpa - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:50 PM

The Dodgers will pay him. Playing for the franchise of his namesake would work for him. The Yankees are in a bad situation.

13. louhudson23 - Jun 22, 2013 at 3:51 PM

He is completing a 30 million dollar deal and will make something well over 100 million at bare minimum on his new contract…..so why in the world play for someone or somewhere that you truly don’t want to play for. Being a prisoner to money is a situation that far too many people find themselves in.There is no greater luxury that money can by which is more valuable or worthwhile than the ability to pick and choose the circumstances of your working life.Ceding that power and independence defeats the purpose of having the money…..

• cackalackyank - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:20 PM

Sound reasoning, but the Yankees and MLB owners in general are no ones idea of a charity. I do not think Cano, with Boras as an agant no less, will be making any donations at contract time.
      Translation= Robbie wanna get paid.

Pitching vs. history in NL wild card game
  1. D. Jeter (3506)