Jayson Werth has a theory on why the Nats aren’t winning this year

Jun 21, 2013, 2:00 PM EST

Jayson Werth AP

Hitting? Pitching? Defense? Injuries? Nah. It all came too easily last season, he tells Jayson Stark of ESPN:

“Last year, we cruised,” right fielder Jayson Werth found himself saying this week, reflectively. “You don’t learn how to win that way. So when you get into those big games in September and in the playoffs, when you’ve led wire-to-wire and you cruised into the finish line, you never really had to work for anything. But [this year] I feel like, if we’re going to win it, we’re going to have to work for a lot.”

Also: this losing could be just what the doctor ordered:

Got that? If you win too much, it’s gonna make you lose. If you lose some, it’s good for you. Baseball is so easy when you break it down that way!

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM

This might be simultaneously the stupidest and most brilliant thing I’ve ever heard.

• nolanwiffle - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Dare I say…..a “special kind of stupid?”

• specialkindofstupid - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Indeed.

• trollingforjustice - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:55 PM

I am surprised he didnt try to explain “who’s on first?”

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:18 PM

So….who exactly are these first rounders that have had it easy? Bryce Harper….and…..and….uhhhh…..

It one thing for Nats fans to forget their entire history prior to 2012. But you would think a guy who actually DID win while the Nats were sucking fumes would recall that fact!

• nolanwiffle - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Anthony Redon, Stephen Strasburg, Drew Storen, Ryan Zimmerman, Ross Detwiler, and Bryce Harper were all first round picks who spent little, if any, time in the minors.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:34 PM

That is the first part of equation – they were first rounders. But the 2nd part is what I am questioning. All of those guys saw plenty of struggles, I woul not say they had it easy at all

• nolanwiffle - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM

“A lot of these guys were first-round picks who got to the big leagues pretty easily,” he said. “So I feel like this, in a sense, is almost good for us.”

I think he’s saying they spent very little time in the minors.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Well, I suppose, but then when he comes back with “so this is good” – what does time in the minors have to do with anything?

• nolanwiffle - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I don’t pretend to know what this goof is thinking, but again, I think he means to say they haven’t had to deal with a lot of adversity at the professional level. They need to work through some rough times (that are inevitable in baseball)…..it’s all come a little too easy thus far.

• Kevin Gillman - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Yes, but Zimmerman had to deal with alot of losing, so I DOUBT he’s on that list.

3. chadjones27 - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Maybe, if they ate more face they’d win more.

4. schmedley69 - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Maybe because Werth spends half the time on the DL every season?

5. someguyinva - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I’ve heard tell of a saying in sports that goes, “You win before you get good”; this may be a different way of saying the same thing Werth was saying.

• chadjones27 - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:54 PM

Sort of. But I think what Werth was saying is, “you lose before you get good.” I think.

I kinda get what he’s saying; when things come easy you’re ill prepared for the hard times.

6. yahmule - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:39 PM

If there is one area where Jayson Werth excels its theorizing.

• recoveringcubsfan - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:59 PM

And hitting walk off homers in game 4.

But somehow his talking is all people can think to talk about.

7. tbrva - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Eat Face says all that needs to said.

8. timmons94 - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM

7 yrs 126 mill for jayson werth less. Still worst contract in history of sports

• chadjones27 - Jun 21, 2013 at 4:03 PM

I think every yankee fan would beg to differ. And Howard’s contract is not looking so good.

• xmatt0926x - Jun 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Agreed. I’d say A-Rod is number 1, then just throw in a hat Howard, Werth, and what appears to be a quick rush to join them in Josh Hamilton (and very possibly Pujols very soon). There’s probably a couple more doozy’s out there. Not sure how many years Vernon Wells has left.

9. muckey - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I think that .291 team OBP and .376 team SLG might have something to do with it.

10. psunick - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Chadjones, you got it!

11. evanwins - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:53 PM

How about some reality? Do they have that in DC?

Everyone on the team last year played WELL over there head, this year they are playing to their averages, whet they are actually supposed to be not what the media makes them out to be.

The one good year they had (last year) just happen to coincide with the one exceptionally bad year their usual division leaders had. The Phillies had an awful year and the Nats had a great year, not a coincidence.

Everything that could go right for them last year went right. Every call, every hop, everything and they had no serious injuries (Werth, who is not a major player, notwithstanding). You can’t rely on that luck always happening.

Live with it Nats fans. You should have never believed the hype to begin with.

• xmatt0926x - Jun 21, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I’m a Phillies fan and a Nats “disliker” (hate is toos trong a word for a boys game) and I don’t think it’s hype at all. I’d take the Nats roster in a second. Yeah, a lot of Nats fans on here were going too far last season thinking it was going to be a cake walk through 3 or 4 world series titles, but there’s a ton of talent there even if things aren’t breaking right this season.

That’s how it goes and Nats fans are learning that you need plenty of good breaks during a marathon season to go with the talent. I think they will put a run together at some point and I’d rather face the Braves then the Nats. The home run streaks come and go. The braves offense might face a real dry spell against top starters in the playoffs.

In the end I think the nats have 95-100 win talent even if it’s not showing right now.

• recoveringcubsfan - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Thanks for being reasonable (I like your “disliker” notion and am going to steal it because I feel that way towards the Phillies and Cards). Too many people seem to hate the Nats due to the impossible belief that DC residents come from a planet where baseball doesn’t exist and that they’re mental babies who have never rooted for anything before. This leads to condescending crap like most of this comments thread, and Craig trolls it tirelessly, much to his own shame.

Nobody bought the hype. It isn’t hype – as you say, that’s a talented roster that is underperforming. Even at this sluggish pace, they’re not far from contention. And most of all, they’re you f and not yet saddled with too many mega-contracts, neither of which can be said for, oh, Philadelphia.

Anyway, just wanted to say I appreciate your points.

• recoveringcubsfan - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM

“Young”

12. thomas844 - Jun 21, 2013 at 6:52 PM

It actually makes perfect sense what he said.

• recoveringcubsfan - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Also agree with this. It’s remarkable how many people are doing contortions here to pretend they don’t understand what Werth said – something every sports fan has heard in some form before – just so they can pile on. It’s kind of pathetic. Maybe, like, this isn’t the crime of the century you guys are making it out to be. Drama queens with nothing better to talk about, I guess…

13. kev86 - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Werth doesn’t seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.

14. scotttheskeptic - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:09 PM

While his logic seems counter-intuitive, aren’t the hardest substances forged at extremely high temperatures or under immense pressure? His words tripped over themselves, but I believe the gist of this is that adversity, or rather a positive response to adversity, is a good thing for a team.

• recoveringcubsfan - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM

The St. Louis Cardinals are the first and only exhibit Werth need point to to bolster his statement. Anybody want to argue that their run last year was due to a lack of pressure? How about chalking it up to the easy road they took to get to the playoffs? No? Nobody?

That moron, Jayson Werth. What IS he talking about.

• wretchu - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:10 AM

What are YOU talking about? I can’t tell if you’re saying he’s right or wrong or his content is okay but the context was off or what.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester