Jun 21, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Hitting? Pitching? Defense? Injuries? Nah. It all came too easily last season, he tells Jayson Stark of ESPN:
“Last year, we cruised,” right fielder Jayson Werth found himself saying this week, reflectively. “You don’t learn how to win that way. So when you get into those big games in September and in the playoffs, when you’ve led wire-to-wire and you cruised into the finish line, you never really had to work for anything. But [this year] I feel like, if we’re going to win it, we’re going to have to work for a lot.”
Also: this losing could be just what the doctor ordered:
“A lot of these guys were first-round picks who got to the big leagues pretty easily,” he said. “So I feel like this, in a sense, is almost good for us.
Got that? If you win too much, it’s gonna make you lose. If you lose some, it’s good for you. Baseball is so easy when you break it down that way!
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 61
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 56
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11