Jun 21, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
As expected the Mets have placed Jon Niese on the disabled list after the left-hander exited last night’s start with shoulder pain.
Niese got off to a terrible start this season while pitching through neck and shoulder problems, but put together a very effective stretch of late with a 1.93 ERA and 23/11 K/BB ratio in five starts since mid-May.
Considering this isn’t the first time Niese has experienced shoulder soreness this season the Mets figure to be pretty cautious with any return timetable, although nothing has been announced officially yet. Niese signed a $30 million extension with the Mets last spring that puts him under team control through 2018.
UDPATE: Manager Terry Collins downplayed the severity of Niese’s injury, but assistant general manager John Ricco just told reporters that the left-hander has a partially torn rotator cuff. No surgery for now, but it’s certainly not a minor injury.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (86)