Jun 21, 2013, 4:16 PM EDT
As expected the Mets have placed Jon Niese on the disabled list after the left-hander exited last night’s start with shoulder pain.
Niese got off to a terrible start this season while pitching through neck and shoulder problems, but put together a very effective stretch of late with a 1.93 ERA and 23/11 K/BB ratio in five starts since mid-May.
Considering this isn’t the first time Niese has experienced shoulder soreness this season the Mets figure to be pretty cautious with any return timetable, although nothing has been announced officially yet. Niese signed a $30 million extension with the Mets last spring that puts him under team control through 2018.
UDPATE: Manager Terry Collins downplayed the severity of Niese’s injury, but assistant general manager John Ricco just told reporters that the left-hander has a partially torn rotator cuff. No surgery for now, but it’s certainly not a minor injury.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 26
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 17
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 79
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 54
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (79)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)