Jun 21, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Chase Utley said yesterday’s game at Double-A “went really well” and the Phillies apparently believed him, activating the second baseman from the disabled list just two days into a minor-league rehab assignment.
Utley went 0-for-9 at Double-A after spending a month on the DL with an oblique injury, so it’s certainly a hastened return timetable. To make room on the roster the Phillies optioned Michael Martinez back to Triple-A.
Utley was looking more or less like his old self before the injury, hitting .272 with seven homers and an .814 OPS in 44 games, and he even stole five bases.
- Dustin Pedroia returns to Red Sox starting lineup 2
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 94
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 11
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 230
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (230)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (105)