Jun 21, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Chase Utley said yesterday’s game at Double-A “went really well” and the Phillies apparently believed him, activating the second baseman from the disabled list just two days into a minor-league rehab assignment.
Utley went 0-for-9 at Double-A after spending a month on the DL with an oblique injury, so it’s certainly a hastened return timetable. To make room on the roster the Phillies optioned Michael Martinez back to Triple-A.
Utley was looking more or less like his old self before the injury, hitting .272 with seven homers and an .814 OPS in 44 games, and he even stole five bases.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 23
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 35
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 41
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)