Jun 21, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Chase Utley said yesterday’s game at Double-A “went really well” and the Phillies apparently believed him, activating the second baseman from the disabled list just two days into a minor-league rehab assignment.
Utley went 0-for-9 at Double-A after spending a month on the DL with an oblique injury, so it’s certainly a hastened return timetable. To make room on the roster the Phillies optioned Michael Martinez back to Triple-A.
Utley was looking more or less like his old self before the injury, hitting .272 with seven homers and an .814 OPS in 44 games, and he even stole five bases.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 0
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 28
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 105
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (104)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)