Jun 21, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Vernon Wells‘ strong start is a distant memory and he’s hitting .118 with zero homers and a 21/2 K/BB ratio in his last 30 games, posting a ghastly .268 OPS (yes, OPS) dating back to mid-May.
For the season he’s now hitting .221 with a .263 on-base percentage and .368 slugging percentage in 68 games, which adds up to a .631 OPS that’s even lower than the .682 and .660 marks he had for the Angels the past two seasons. So why haven’t the Yankees benched him yet?
Here’s what manager Joe Girardi told Matthew Stanmyre of the Newark Star Ledger:
We still believe that he can get it done. I know he’s capable of doing it because I’ve watched it. I’ve watched it with my own eyes. I saw him do it in April and I believe that he can still get it done.
April was nice and all, but it’s one month and Wells has now hit .222 with a .658 OPS in his last 276 games and 1,061 plate appearances dating back to 2011. And that includes his good April this year.
Wells got dumped on the Yankees because the Angels were convinced he’s washed up and now he’s playing like someone who’s washed up. Obviously if the Yankees were healthier Wells would probably have lost his regular spot in the lineup already, but even an injury wrecked team should be able to see that it’s just not happening.
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 11
- Futures Game lineups: Team USA vs. Team World 6
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 22
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 3
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)