Jun 21, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Vernon Wells‘ strong start is a distant memory and he’s hitting .118 with zero homers and a 21/2 K/BB ratio in his last 30 games, posting a ghastly .268 OPS (yes, OPS) dating back to mid-May.
For the season he’s now hitting .221 with a .263 on-base percentage and .368 slugging percentage in 68 games, which adds up to a .631 OPS that’s even lower than the .682 and .660 marks he had for the Angels the past two seasons. So why haven’t the Yankees benched him yet?
Here’s what manager Joe Girardi told Matthew Stanmyre of the Newark Star Ledger:
We still believe that he can get it done. I know he’s capable of doing it because I’ve watched it. I’ve watched it with my own eyes. I saw him do it in April and I believe that he can still get it done.
April was nice and all, but it’s one month and Wells has now hit .222 with a .658 OPS in his last 276 games and 1,061 plate appearances dating back to 2011. And that includes his good April this year.
Wells got dumped on the Yankees because the Angels were convinced he’s washed up and now he’s playing like someone who’s washed up. Obviously if the Yankees were healthier Wells would probably have lost his regular spot in the lineup already, but even an injury wrecked team should be able to see that it’s just not happening.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (124)