Vernon Wells is hitting .118 in his last 30 games

Jun 21, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

New York Yankees' Wells hits two-run home run against Kansas City Royals in their MLB American League baseball game in Kansas City Reuters

Vernon Wells‘ strong start is a distant memory and he’s hitting .118 with zero homers and a 21/2 K/BB ratio in his last 30 games, posting a ghastly .268 OPS (yes, OPS) dating back to mid-May.

For the season he’s now hitting .221 with a .263 on-base percentage and .368 slugging percentage in 68 games, which adds up to a .631 OPS that’s even lower than the .682 and .660 marks he had for the Angels the past two seasons. So why haven’t the Yankees benched him yet?

Here’s what manager Joe Girardi told Matthew Stanmyre of the Newark Star Ledger:

We still believe that he can get it done. I know he’s capable of doing it because I’ve watched it. I’ve watched it with my own eyes. I saw him do it in April and I believe that he can still get it done.

April was nice and all, but it’s one month and Wells has now hit .222 with a .658 OPS in his last 276 games and 1,061 plate appearances dating back to 2011. And that includes his good April this year.

Wells got dumped on the Yankees because the Angels were convinced he’s washed up and now he’s playing like someone who’s washed up. Obviously if the Yankees were healthier Wells would probably have lost his regular spot in the lineup already, but even an injury wrecked team should be able to see that it’s just not happening.

1. Old Gator - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Cashman done run out of goopher dust.

• fanofevilempire - Jun 21, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Just a few weeks ago they were tied with Boston for first and
      Joe was manager of the year and the Cash man was executive
      of the year, now they are being blamed for a team that lost their
      SS, third baseman, centerfielder a replacement third baseman
      and their first baseman, again. I want to see what’s for sale at the
      trade deadline and what we get back from our own DL. The problem
      with Wells we can’t hide him in this lineup.

2. andreweac - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Too blessed to be stressed.

3. andreweac - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Can the Yankees please take on another Angels OF personal disaster too? The Nightmare Child loves New York City — remember the HR Derby at Yankee Stadium?

4. specialkindofstupid - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:51 AM

A .268 OPS?! That’s about half of what light-hitting Rafael Belliard would hit back in the day. Rafael Belliard!

• cohnjusack - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:49 PM

It’s almost exactly half of the career OPS of Mario Mendoza…of “Mendoza line” fame.

5. caeser12 - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Joe Giradi’s positivity is adorable isn’t it?

6. proudlycanadian - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Trade him for B. J. Upton

• pisano - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:42 PM

pc… there’s another overrated players, that makes a lot more money.

• proudlycanadian - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Cancel my attempt at a joke. The real joke was the 5 year $75.25 million contract signed by Upton during the off season.

• cohnjusack - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:56 PM

The Upton Brothers since May 1st:

86 games
      37 Runs
      8 HR
      27 RBI
      .201/.306/.317

Since May 1st, Justin is carrying a .626 OPS, just ahead of BJ’s .624 OPS.

7. DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:16 PM

2013 OPS for the entire Miami Marlins pitching staff: .344.

• jwbiii - Jun 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM

2013 OPS for NL pitchers is .342, so that’s spot on average.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Jun 21, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Yea, I didn’t do any comparison, and my gut did tell me that they probably were not much below the average, if at all

But still goes to show – any shmuck would be better then Wells right now!

8. 18thstreet - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I wonder what would have happened if he hit that way for his first 30 games instead of his last. Would the Yankees have cut him?

The thing is, he was incredibly helpful when he was hitting because his hits were INCREDIBLY timely and clutch. His good numbers understated just how valuable he was for that hot streak. But it’s over now. He’s back to being himself.

9. neoshweaty - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Good god. 268 ops? I guess things must be desperate in the the bronx to give him any plate appearances.

10. jwbiii - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Compentency’s a distant memory
    Montgomery a recent birth
    And Tulsa burns on the desert floor
    Like historiophiliac’s smile.

That last line needs some work.

• anxovies - Jun 21, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Ah, The Junkies. Don’t have any of their music but I think I have some Flying Putos. Excuse me while I kick back and revisit my wasted youth.

11. icanspeel - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:53 PM

If teams kept players around who used to be good then lots of teams would still suck. Not sure why saying he showed signs of being good warrants letting him stay in the starting lineup longer.

12. wjchen468 - Jun 21, 2013 at 1:03 PM

What Gleeman fails to address and to be fair to Girardi, who is he supposed to bench Wells for? Chris Nield? Ichiro? All of the Yankees minor leaguers who are any good are in low minors. They have no upper minor outfielders who would likely do any better. Nor are there any options I see on the waiver wire. Girardi was dealt the hand given to him by Cashman, who in turn was forced to deal Girardi a 7-2 off suit because Hal started pinching pennies. The Yankees do not have anyone good to replace Wells.

What is Girardi supposed to say when asked about Wells: “Yeah he sucks gopher turds, but we have no one else because ownership decided being richer then God is not enough, so I have to keep throwing him out there and praying that the Baseball Gods have pity on me and my soul and grant Wells a hit.”

• anxovies - Jun 21, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Agreed. Alamonte is the only ML OF near major league ready. Mustelier might be an option as a RH hitter but he went back on the DL.

• jolink653 - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:37 PM

I’d like to see Melky Mesa get a shot at some point; I argued at the end of camp that he should have been added to the roster and given some solid time in the outfield…Almonte would be another choice to come up and gain some major league experience….Unfortunately as you mentioned, most of the outfield talent is still relatively low down in the system (Mason Williams, Tyler Austin, etc.), but I really think they should start bringing some of the semi-talented higher-up minor leaguers up to see if they can get something going like they did with Cano, who came up entirely unnoticed because he wasn’t projected to be a bigtime talent

• turdfurgerson68 - Jun 21, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Oh no, that would mean the return of the idiotic ‘The Melkman delivers’ phrase from the moron duo of Sterling/Waldman.

Please Yankee mgmt, please don’t do anything to get Sterling going!

13. turdfurgerson68 - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:35 PM

He did start off well, then….

And Wells will be back in 2014!

Another failure by Cashman; let’s see how the Cashman Apologists try and spin this one.

Cashman! Cashman!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Do you really want to go tit for tat with the Boston FO? Guarantee the Yanks end up far ahead.

• turdfurgerson68 - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Boston FO?

Don’t know what you mean but please present your evidence, no matter how flimsy it may be.

14. straightouttavtown - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

Why pick on Vernon? Travis Hafner isn’t hitting any better since the first month as well.

• turdfurgerson68 - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Hafner, Wells, Youkillis….all Cashman failures.

No need to single out Wells.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win