Wanna Buy Billy Beane’s house?

Jun 21, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

Beane House

It’s in Danville, California. I assume that he’s selling it so he can buy a place in Santa Clara County, what with the lawsuit and all. I also assume any sale will be contingent on a thorough plumbing inspection:

Located roughly 40 minutes east of the O.co Coliseum, Beane’s home offers 4,836 square feet of living space and has an office and a bonus room to go along with the five en suites. Inside, cherrywood and travertine flooring can be found throughout, while other luxe touches include crown molding, custom draperies and silhouettes. Outside, the more than half-acre grounds feature a sparkling pool and an elevated spa.

Based on the photos of the place, I assume bland, model home-style suburban McMansion furnishings are the new inefficiency.

Beane and his wife bought it in 2002, as “Moneyball” was being researched and written. They purchased it for $1.735 million. It’s listing for $1.895 million. Which means he got way more value out of Scott Hatteberg than he did this particular real estate investment.

[Beane throws a chair, reduces listing price by the value of the chair and the damage to the wall]

1. Liam - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Joe Morgan thinks Beane’s architectural designs for the house are crap.

2. heyblueyoustink - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:53 AM

Look at you, CC, real estate agent of the rich and somewhat famous.

I’m trying to figure out who’s house I’d want to buy.

• historiophiliac - Jun 21, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Don’t be silly. None of these are anywhere near Galt’s Gulch. Oh, and build your own.

3. worldseriestiger - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I’m willing to be that Beane spends most of his time in that basement looking room with the TV and the wet bar…looks like he’s never even been in the rest of the house.

4. kevinbnyc - Jun 21, 2013 at 8:56 AM

This can’t be his only house in the area. He probably has a few that he got a good deal on and platoons them through the season.

5. nolanwiffle - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Everytime I see these real estate listings, I instantly think of that once great NY Met, Chico Escuela……”beisbol ben berry, berry good to me.”

• fissels - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:12 AM

I remember him on SNL but not as a Met. Funny bit for sure.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:52 AM

The funniest part…Sammy Sosa said these same words…and he meant it.
      Except…with Sammy’s accent it was more like…
      “Beisabol’s bin berrdie, berrdie, goot to me.”

• historiophiliac - Jun 21, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Hello, my name is Sammy Sosa. Yes, the real Sammy Sosa. Please allow me and my ochre sweater to review the features of this wonderful home with you. I assure you, you will find years of comfort and happiness in this lovely property. You can trust this sweater on that.

/arches eyebrow and smiles knowingly

6. schmedley69 - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I would expect Ruben Amaro to live in a house like that, but not Billy Beane. I always pictured him living in a studio apartment with no cable or air conditioning.

7. BPKay - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:15 AM

The biggest problem with Beane’s house is that everything stops working right in October.

8. 18thstreet - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:23 AM

Turning down a big payday from the Red Sox has left Beane impoverished. But at least he has a job he loves.

You’re such a loser, Dad.
    You’re such a loser, Dad.
    You’re such a loser, Dad.
    Just enjoy the show.

9. stlouis1baseball - Jun 21, 2013 at 9:37 AM

The price tag seems low to me. If not low…at least reasonable.
    One question: Who eats at the kitchen table in chairs like that? I mean…seriously.
    Gotta’ be the most uncomfortable meals ever.

10. chaseutley - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM

“Mildred, get me Ed Wade on the phone.”

11. foreverchipper10 - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:30 AM

A bonus room you say? Tickle me intrigued.

12. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Beane will have to sell 4 of those to afforde just one in Silicon Valley….better to just tack on 30 minutes to the commute, or just take the BART, which will probably be built first in SJ before a new ballpark…

• trickybastard - Jun 21, 2013 at 3:36 PM

the Silicon Valley real estate market is much cheaper than Danville/Blackhawk. Danville/Blackhawk are is where John Madden lives, former Peoplesoft CEO, and other professional atheletes. Very exclusive.

13. tanzkommandant - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:39 AM

I too would like to know what a (Ricky) bonus room entails.

14. Caught Looking - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Is the Pepsi machine included for when guests come over and need a beverage?

15. APBA Guy - Jun 21, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Danville was the fashion for the A’s stars during the “Moneyball” era, but fashions change, and as GM and part-owner, the G & P Beane must surely change his abode to suit. Maybe he’s moving up to Barry Zito’s place in Marin? Should Brian Sabean be worried?

16. Old Gator - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Don’t tell me that another wife is throwing him out?

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Or no – don’t tell me he’s building a new home in San Jose!

• Old Gator - Jun 21, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Or no – don’t tell me that the toilets at his house don’t work either!

Can Nationals run the playoff table?
  1. D. Jeter (3353)