Jun 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Well, one thing they shouldn’t do is go out and get Jonathan Papelbon or someone. On the one hand he isn’t available if you believe Ruben Amaro. On the other hand: when was the last time the Sox went outside the organization to get a reliever without it ending in disaster or something quite like it?
For this reason Alex Speier runs down the bullpen options for the Sox over at WEEI today, and all of the options are internal ones. Nobody’s perfect — John Farrell will have to decide which of walks or occasional home runs or durability problems or inexperience constitute the biggest problem in a closer. But the fact is that there are plenty of live arms at is disposal, so crazy trade deadline talk doesn’t make a ton of sense at this point.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)