Jun 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Well, one thing they shouldn’t do is go out and get Jonathan Papelbon or someone. On the one hand he isn’t available if you believe Ruben Amaro. On the other hand: when was the last time the Sox went outside the organization to get a reliever without it ending in disaster or something quite like it?
For this reason Alex Speier runs down the bullpen options for the Sox over at WEEI today, and all of the options are internal ones. Nobody’s perfect — John Farrell will have to decide which of walks or occasional home runs or durability problems or inexperience constitute the biggest problem in a closer. But the fact is that there are plenty of live arms at is disposal, so crazy trade deadline talk doesn’t make a ton of sense at this point.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)