Jun 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Well, one thing they shouldn’t do is go out and get Jonathan Papelbon or someone. On the one hand he isn’t available if you believe Ruben Amaro. On the other hand: when was the last time the Sox went outside the organization to get a reliever without it ending in disaster or something quite like it?
For this reason Alex Speier runs down the bullpen options for the Sox over at WEEI today, and all of the options are internal ones. Nobody’s perfect — John Farrell will have to decide which of walks or occasional home runs or durability problems or inexperience constitute the biggest problem in a closer. But the fact is that there are plenty of live arms at is disposal, so crazy trade deadline talk doesn’t make a ton of sense at this point.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)