Jun 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Well, one thing they shouldn’t do is go out and get Jonathan Papelbon or someone. On the one hand he isn’t available if you believe Ruben Amaro. On the other hand: when was the last time the Sox went outside the organization to get a reliever without it ending in disaster or something quite like it?
For this reason Alex Speier runs down the bullpen options for the Sox over at WEEI today, and all of the options are internal ones. Nobody’s perfect — John Farrell will have to decide which of walks or occasional home runs or durability problems or inexperience constitute the biggest problem in a closer. But the fact is that there are plenty of live arms at is disposal, so crazy trade deadline talk doesn’t make a ton of sense at this point.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (306)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (121)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)