Jun 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Well, one thing they shouldn’t do is go out and get Jonathan Papelbon or someone. On the one hand he isn’t available if you believe Ruben Amaro. On the other hand: when was the last time the Sox went outside the organization to get a reliever without it ending in disaster or something quite like it?
For this reason Alex Speier runs down the bullpen options for the Sox over at WEEI today, and all of the options are internal ones. Nobody’s perfect — John Farrell will have to decide which of walks or occasional home runs or durability problems or inexperience constitute the biggest problem in a closer. But the fact is that there are plenty of live arms at is disposal, so crazy trade deadline talk doesn’t make a ton of sense at this point.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 8
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 25
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 15
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)