Jun 22, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
Max Scherzer tossed seven solid innings of baseball as the Tigers routed the Red Sox 10-3. Scherzer held the Sox to two runs on six hits and no walks while striking out six, improving his record to 11-0. Per ESPN Stats & Info, he became the first starter to start 11-0 since Roger Clemens in 1997 with the Blue Jays. Additionally, Scherzer is the first Tigers starter to begin the season 11-0 since George Mullin in 1909.
After years of inconsistency where he showed flashes of ace-like potential, Scherzer has finally put it together in 2013. He has the second best strikeout rate among all Major League starters at 31 percent, behind Yu Darvish at 34 percent. He has only walked 6.5 percent of batters faced, giving him the 11th-best strikeout-to-walk ratio. The AL Cy Young field is crowded with contestants at the moment, what with teammate Anibal Sanchez, division rival Chris Sale, along with Clay Buchholz, Felix Hernandez, and Yu Darvish, among others. Scherzer belongs in the conversation and could very well go home with some hardware after the season.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 7
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 15
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 25
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)