Jun 22, 2013, 11:45 PM EST
Max Scherzer tossed seven solid innings of baseball as the Tigers routed the Red Sox 10-3. Scherzer held the Sox to two runs on six hits and no walks while striking out six, improving his record to 11-0. Per ESPN Stats & Info, he became the first starter to start 11-0 since Roger Clemens in 1997 with the Blue Jays. Additionally, Scherzer is the first Tigers starter to begin the season 11-0 since George Mullin in 1909.
After years of inconsistency where he showed flashes of ace-like potential, Scherzer has finally put it together in 2013. He has the second best strikeout rate among all Major League starters at 31 percent, behind Yu Darvish at 34 percent. He has only walked 6.5 percent of batters faced, giving him the 11th-best strikeout-to-walk ratio. The AL Cy Young field is crowded with contestants at the moment, what with teammate Anibal Sanchez, division rival Chris Sale, along with Clay Buchholz, Felix Hernandez, and Yu Darvish, among others. Scherzer belongs in the conversation and could very well go home with some hardware after the season.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 18
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 74
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)