Shane Victorino drives in five to help the Sox beat the Tigers 10-6

Jun 22, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

Shane Victorino, Brayan Pena

A lot of people questioned the Red Sox signing Shane Victorino this past offseason. And it’s still up for debate whether he will truly be worth his contract over all three years. But there’s no denying that he’s been useful this season, and last night he was particularly useful against the Tigers. Victorino went 4 for 5 with a home run and five RBI as the Sox beat the Tigers 10-6.

On the year Victorino is now hitting .292/.351/.392 has stolen eight bases and has played fine defense for the Sox. I don’t know if that’s truly worth $13 million, but I do know that the Sox are getting way more for their money than a lot of other teams who signed free agent outfielders who were allegedly safer bets.

1. papalurchdxb - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:12 AM

He’s also an Uehera punch bag, so he takes one for the team too. His defense is excellent and he’s hit better in 3 months that JD Drew ever did in 3 years, so all in all yes, I’d say the RedSox are getting good value for money this time around.

• rjostewart - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:15 PM

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised, but it’s amazing that so many Red Sox fans still feel this way. Look up J. D. Drew’s 2008 or 2009 some time.

• Glenn - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Looking at OPS+, Victorino’s season so far (OPS+ 100) would be better than only JD’s injury plagued last season. As disappointing as Drew was, he was better than Victorino four of his five years in Boston. Why Victorino is getting $13 million to be an average player (and below average offensively for a rightfielder), I do not understand.

• hammyofdoom - Jun 22, 2013 at 12:35 PM

That JD drew comment is blatant revisionist history. In 2008 Drew put up numbers in June that Victorino would have a hard time putting up in a half a season: 21 extra base hits, an OPS of 1.3. His 2009 he played 139 games with an OPS of .914. Red Sox fans need to stop ragging on Drew, he wasn’t bad

2. historiophiliac - Jun 22, 2013 at 11:43 AM

I loved it when Victorino made the throw to first trying to get Miggy out and Miggy gave him crap about it. That was too funny. He had Victorino laughing.

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 22, 2013 at 5:16 PM

MGB plays the game with a great spirit since he quit drinking.

• historiophiliac - Jun 22, 2013 at 7:58 PM

You know, I was really iffy on all that. Initially, I thought it was a mistake to let him treat his alcoholism outpatient. I thought he needed to go to a facility, but the word was that things would be worse if he was kept off the field and that playing was the thing that gave him focus. I was skeptical, but it has worked out so far. He seems to be managing it okay and the team seems to make efforts to encourage him. I could see his joy in the game really helping his sobriety — but you know, I’m looking in from the outside, so whatever. You have no idea how PISSED I was that he would show up to a game still drunk. I still disagree with Leyland letting him play that way. NOT cool. If I was the manager, he would’ve sobered up on the bench watching everyone else play (and I’d hope he had the heaves.)

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:49 AM

His problem was at a level where showing up sober wasn’t really an option, and sometimes showing up quite intoxicated happened. Apart from setting him up on IV’s and filtering his blood nothing much would sober him up at that point. He was drinking bottles (plural!) a day. The scene with the cop in St. Lucie where he was drinking right in front of the guy was … amazing.

When your problems are at that level, opinions like yours and mine don’t really matter too much. Outpatient can be sketchy but everyone’s different. Being a 12-stepper wouldn’t really work for me because I’m a confirmed atheist. Just one example. I’m not about to let go or let God. For Miggy and his family’s sake you just have to cross your fingers and hope his approach works.

• historiophiliac - Jun 23, 2013 at 11:56 AM

Wait, bottles (plural!) is bad?

3. trollingforjustice - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:14 AM

Not buying into that “G”ood “O”rderly “D”irection thing unclemose?

• unclemosesgreen - Jun 23, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Not for me personally – no. I never tell others where to shop or what to buy though.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3793)