Jun 22, 2013, 11:02 AM EST
A lot of people questioned the Red Sox signing Shane Victorino this past offseason. And it’s still up for debate whether he will truly be worth his contract over all three years. But there’s no denying that he’s been useful this season, and last night he was particularly useful against the Tigers. Victorino went 4 for 5 with a home run and five RBI as the Sox beat the Tigers 10-6.
On the year Victorino is now hitting .292/.351/.392 has stolen eight bases and has played fine defense for the Sox. I don’t know if that’s truly worth $13 million, but I do know that the Sox are getting way more for their money than a lot of other teams who signed free agent outfielders who were allegedly safer bets.
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 18
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 43
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 132
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Dodgers cut Brian Wilson and his $9.5 million salary 53
- Royals and Alex Rios agree to one-year, $11 million contract 16
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (133)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Jon Lester goes to Cubs for $155 million over six years (99)