Jun 22, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
A lot of people questioned the Red Sox signing Shane Victorino this past offseason. And it’s still up for debate whether he will truly be worth his contract over all three years. But there’s no denying that he’s been useful this season, and last night he was particularly useful against the Tigers. Victorino went 4 for 5 with a home run and five RBI as the Sox beat the Tigers 10-6.
On the year Victorino is now hitting .292/.351/.392 has stolen eight bases and has played fine defense for the Sox. I don’t know if that’s truly worth $13 million, but I do know that the Sox are getting way more for their money than a lot of other teams who signed free agent outfielders who were allegedly safer bets.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 25
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 11
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)