Jun 22, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT
A lot of people questioned the Red Sox signing Shane Victorino this past offseason. And it’s still up for debate whether he will truly be worth his contract over all three years. But there’s no denying that he’s been useful this season, and last night he was particularly useful against the Tigers. Victorino went 4 for 5 with a home run and five RBI as the Sox beat the Tigers 10-6.
On the year Victorino is now hitting .292/.351/.392 has stolen eight bases and has played fine defense for the Sox. I don’t know if that’s truly worth $13 million, but I do know that the Sox are getting way more for their money than a lot of other teams who signed free agent outfielders who were allegedly safer bets.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 213
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)