Jun 23, 2013, 9:00 PM EST
Adam Dunn, for the most part, would like to forget the past three years. Since signing a four-year, $56 million contract with the White Sox after the 2010 season, he has posted a paltry .707 OPS over 1,427 plate appearances. His 2011 season, in which he posted a .569 OPS, was one of the worst in baseball history. This year, he is hitting just .193 with a sub-.300 on-base percentage.
However, Dunn can still rack up home runs with the best of them. He hit his 20th homer of the season this afternoon off of James Shields, a two-run blast in the third inning that bolstered his team’s lead to 4-0. It was the 426th homer of his career, tying him with Billy Williams for 46th all-time. Over 650 PA, he is on pace for 45 home runs, which would give him 451 at season’s end. That would move him up to 36th all-time ahead of Jeff Bagwell and Vladimir Guerrero at 449 and just behind Carl Yastrzemski at 452. From there, he would be on pace to join the 500-homer club some time in 2015.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)