Jun 23, 2013, 11:20 PM EDT
After wrapping up one of the most frustrating homestands in recent memory with an 8-0 drubbing at the hands of the New York Mets, Charlie Manuel said he questions his team’s ability to put it together for a second-half surge. Via CSN Philly’s John Gonzalez:
But what if the team further decomposes during the road trip? It’s hard to imagine the Phillies grabbing new pieces if they don’t peek their head above .500 and keep it there for a while. If you have your doubts about their ability to do that, you have some company.
Does Manuel question whether these Phillies can go on a run?
“I wonder if we can do that,” Manuel admitted. “Yes.”
This afternoon’s eight-run loss moved the Phillies’ run differential to -58, the second-worst in the National League and third-worst in all of baseball behind the Marlins (-90) and Astros (-96). They are only four games under .500, but their expected record based on run differential pegs them at 12 games below .500 at 32-44. In other words, the Phillies are fortunate to even be where they are, and shouldn’t expect their current level of play to keep them within arm’s reach of contention going forward.
With a barren Minor League system and a host of veterans eligible for free agency after the season, it is looking unavoidable that the Phillies go into the deadline as sellers. If they do, they will do so for the first time since 2006, when they traded away franchise cornerstone Bobby Abreu to the New York Yankees.
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 11
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 63
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)