Jun 23, 2013, 11:20 PM EST
After wrapping up one of the most frustrating homestands in recent memory with an 8-0 drubbing at the hands of the New York Mets, Charlie Manuel said he questions his team’s ability to put it together for a second-half surge. Via CSN Philly’s John Gonzalez:
But what if the team further decomposes during the road trip? It’s hard to imagine the Phillies grabbing new pieces if they don’t peek their head above .500 and keep it there for a while. If you have your doubts about their ability to do that, you have some company.
Does Manuel question whether these Phillies can go on a run?
“I wonder if we can do that,” Manuel admitted. “Yes.”
This afternoon’s eight-run loss moved the Phillies’ run differential to -58, the second-worst in the National League and third-worst in all of baseball behind the Marlins (-90) and Astros (-96). They are only four games under .500, but their expected record based on run differential pegs them at 12 games below .500 at 32-44. In other words, the Phillies are fortunate to even be where they are, and shouldn’t expect their current level of play to keep them within arm’s reach of contention going forward.
With a barren Minor League system and a host of veterans eligible for free agency after the season, it is looking unavoidable that the Phillies go into the deadline as sellers. If they do, they will do so for the first time since 2006, when they traded away franchise cornerstone Bobby Abreu to the New York Yankees.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 8
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 18
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (94)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (83)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (79)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (70)