Derek Jeter takes grounders at Yankee Stadium

Jun 23, 2013, 12:57 PM EDT

jeter getty Getty Images

Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter is suddenly making quiet progress in his recovery from left ankle surgery.

According to Dan Martin of the New York Post, the rehabbing veteran took groundballs to his left and right Saturday at Yankee Stadium and told reporters afterward that the drill went “as good as it can go.”

Jayson Nix watched his teammate work out and offered the following review: “It was the first time I’d seen him take ground balls since spring training. He looked like he did before he got hurt. Just the spring in his step. I don’t think that was there when I saw him the last time. … He looked good to me.”

The Yankees are not mapping out a timetable for Jeter’s return, but it seems very possible that he might be ready shortly after the mid-July All-Star break. He hasn’t played in a game since Game 1 of the 2012 ALCS.

1. historiophiliac - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Well, if Nix says it, it must be…Doom.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM

[Indy signals his intention to cut the rope bridge]
      Willie: Oh my God. Oh my God, is he nuts?
      Short Round: He no nuts, he’s crazy!

• historiophiliac - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

Honey, you watch too much TV. You’re boring the NSA…watching you, watching TV.

2. buffalomafia - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Lets go Jeter! Lets go Jeter!

3. rbj1 - Jun 23, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Just before he got hurt? Derek was hurting most of last year.

• bigharold - Jun 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Perhaps but he played in 159 games with 740 PA and a .316 BA. Most players would love that kind of hurt.

4. Old Gator - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Derek Jeter was taking groundhogs? Isn’t spring training over already?

5. drewzducks - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I thought today was Old Timers Day at the Stadium?

6. cackalackyank - Jun 23, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Given that the theme of this season for the NYY is “I’m ready to come back and play ball!” “OOOOPS JK I’m still hurt”…no need to rush back for those 15 or so games before he gets hurt again.

7. hitdog042 - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:58 PM