Jun 23, 2013, 11:22 AM EDT
The July 31 non-waiver trade deadline is over a month away, but the winds of change are already blowing.
According to Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune, scouts from the Orioles, Phillies and Blue Jays were in attendance at Petco Park for Edinson Volquez‘s start on Saturday night against the Dodgers. The Royals also had a scout in the building, but Center suspects that he was looking into either a corner outfielder or middle infielder.
Volquez went 5 2/3 innings against Los Angeles, yielding five runs — two earned — on two hits and seven walks. He has a disappointing 5.67 ERA and 1.60 WHIP in 16 total starts this season.
The right-hander is scheduled to become a free agent this winter. He’s making $5.725 million in 2013.
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 14
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 11
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 53
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 15
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 6
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 31
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 51
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)