Jun 23, 2013, 11:22 AM EST
The July 31 non-waiver trade deadline is over a month away, but the winds of change are already blowing.
According to Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune, scouts from the Orioles, Phillies and Blue Jays were in attendance at Petco Park for Edinson Volquez‘s start on Saturday night against the Dodgers. The Royals also had a scout in the building, but Center suspects that he was looking into either a corner outfielder or middle infielder.
Volquez went 5 2/3 innings against Los Angeles, yielding five runs — two earned — on two hits and seven walks. He has a disappointing 5.67 ERA and 1.60 WHIP in 16 total starts this season.
The right-hander is scheduled to become a free agent this winter. He’s making $5.725 million in 2013.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 30
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 63
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 28
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)