Jun 23, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
The Cardinals have not yet determined when they will use a fifth starter in the coming weeks, but they know who will be added to the rotation when they do.
Joe Kelly, who held the Cardinals in Friday’s game with five shutout innings of emergency relief, will get the next open start once the Cardinals figure out how to navigate three off days coming in the next nine days.
Tyler Lyons had been filling that role for the Cards but was optioned to Triple-A Memphis on Saturday after posting a rough 5.51 ERA over his first six starts.
Kelly, who was stretched out as a starter this spring before ultimately settling into a long relief role, owns a 3.69 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and 101/44 K/BB ratio in 139 career MLB innings. He was a third-round pick in ’09.
If Kelly doesn’t work out, the Cardinals can either turn to Carlos Martinez or back to Michael Wacha.
- The Cubs to announce the hiring of Joe Maddon on Monday 35
- Cubs fire manager Rick Renteria, clear way for Joe Maddon 67
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 24
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 117
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 31
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 107
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 19
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 83
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game (117)