Jun 23, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
Via Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch:
The Cardinals have not yet determined when they will use a fifth starter in the coming weeks, but they know who will be added to the rotation when they do.
Joe Kelly, who held the Cardinals in Friday’s game with five shutout innings of emergency relief, will get the next open start once the Cardinals figure out how to navigate three off days coming in the next nine days.
Tyler Lyons had been filling that role for the Cards but was optioned to Triple-A Memphis on Saturday after posting a rough 5.51 ERA over his first six starts.
Kelly, who was stretched out as a starter this spring before ultimately settling into a long relief role, owns a 3.69 ERA, 1.41 WHIP and 101/44 K/BB ratio in 139 career MLB innings. He was a third-round pick in ’09.
If Kelly doesn’t work out, the Cardinals can either turn to Carlos Martinez or back to Michael Wacha.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 6
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 54
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)