Jun 23, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
But the club’s decision-makers seem to disagree.
According to Amanda Comak of the Washington Times, the Nationals are placing Haren on the 15-day disabled list. The right-hander did have back problems earlier this season and that’s likely the injury that will be cited when the transaction is made official. But this reads like more of a phantom thing, designed to get Haren some time off and a couple of starts against minor league competition.
Haren allowed six earned runs over 3 1/3 innings on Saturday against the Rockies and owns a brutal 6.15 ERA through his first 82 innings this season. He signed a one-year, $13 million deal this past winter.
UPDATE, 5:06 PM ET: Haren has a stiff shoulder, reports Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (186)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)