Jun 23, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
The Phillies bullpen has had its share of problems all year, but this past week has been particularly bad. Set-up man Mike Adams was placed on the disabled list with bicep tendinitis yesterday after having allowed runs in three of his previous six appearances. The Phillies had hoped to avoid having to put him on the DL, so they took it easy with him for a couple days, but they saw no improvement. Chris Branch reports that Adams will seek a second opinion with Dr. Neal ElAttrache, the doctor who performed surgery on Roy Halladay‘s right shoulder.
Meanwhile, Mike Stutes has also been placed on the disabled list with bicep tendinitis. He had allowed four runs in two out of his three most recent appearances. Following Saturday’s outing, he could be seen in the dugout pointing at his arm, ostensibly identifying discomfort, but he insisted to the media he was fine. Phillippe Aumont has been promoted to fill the roster spot vacated by Stutes.
It’s been a bad week for the Phillies, who have also seen closer Jonathan Papelbon blow three out of his four latest save opportunities. They have baseball’s worst bullpen ERA at 4.67.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 8
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 22
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 34
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)