Jun 23, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
The Phillies bullpen has had its share of problems all year, but this past week has been particularly bad. Set-up man Mike Adams was placed on the disabled list with bicep tendinitis yesterday after having allowed runs in three of his previous six appearances. The Phillies had hoped to avoid having to put him on the DL, so they took it easy with him for a couple days, but they saw no improvement. Chris Branch reports that Adams will seek a second opinion with Dr. Neal ElAttrache, the doctor who performed surgery on Roy Halladay‘s right shoulder.
Meanwhile, Mike Stutes has also been placed on the disabled list with bicep tendinitis. He had allowed four runs in two out of his three most recent appearances. Following Saturday’s outing, he could be seen in the dugout pointing at his arm, ostensibly identifying discomfort, but he insisted to the media he was fine. Phillippe Aumont has been promoted to fill the roster spot vacated by Stutes.
It’s been a bad week for the Phillies, who have also seen closer Jonathan Papelbon blow three out of his four latest save opportunities. They have baseball’s worst bullpen ERA at 4.67.
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 7
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)