Jun 23, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
As first reported by Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star, the Royals have claimed hard-throwing right-handed reliever Maikel Cleto off waivers from the Cardinals and designated outfielder Quintin Berry for assignment to open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
Cleto, a 24-year-old native of the Dominican Republic, was traded from the Mariners to the Cardinals back in December 2010 in exchange for shortstop Brendan Ryan. Featuring a fastball that can sometimes reach triple digits, he struck out 26 batters in his 15 2/3 total innings with St. Louis. But he also yielded a total of seven walks, 25 hits and 18 earned runs for a hideous 2.04 WHIP and 10.34 ERA.
Berry, a former member of the Tigers, was batting .194/.265/.290 this year at Triple-A Omaha.
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 0
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 22
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 9
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (95)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)