Jun 23, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
As first reported by Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star, the Royals have claimed hard-throwing right-handed reliever Maikel Cleto off waivers from the Cardinals and designated outfielder Quintin Berry for assignment to open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
Cleto, a 24-year-old native of the Dominican Republic, was traded from the Mariners to the Cardinals back in December 2010 in exchange for shortstop Brendan Ryan. Featuring a fastball that can sometimes reach triple digits, he struck out 26 batters in his 15 2/3 total innings with St. Louis. But he also yielded a total of seven walks, 25 hits and 18 earned runs for a hideous 2.04 WHIP and 10.34 ERA.
Berry, a former member of the Tigers, was batting .194/.265/.290 this year at Triple-A Omaha.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 5
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 53
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 31
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)