Jun 23, 2013, 5:12 PM EST
As first reported by Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star, the Royals have claimed hard-throwing right-handed reliever Maikel Cleto off waivers from the Cardinals and designated outfielder Quintin Berry for assignment to open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
Cleto, a 24-year-old native of the Dominican Republic, was traded from the Mariners to the Cardinals back in December 2010 in exchange for shortstop Brendan Ryan. Featuring a fastball that can sometimes reach triple digits, he struck out 26 batters in his 15 2/3 total innings with St. Louis. But he also yielded a total of seven walks, 25 hits and 18 earned runs for a hideous 2.04 WHIP and 10.34 ERA.
Berry, a former member of the Tigers, was batting .194/.265/.290 this year at Triple-A Omaha.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 6
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 38
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 4
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 31
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)