Jun 23, 2013, 5:12 PM EDT
As first reported by Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star, the Royals have claimed hard-throwing right-handed reliever Maikel Cleto off waivers from the Cardinals and designated outfielder Quintin Berry for assignment to open up a spot on the 40-man roster.
Cleto, a 24-year-old native of the Dominican Republic, was traded from the Mariners to the Cardinals back in December 2010 in exchange for shortstop Brendan Ryan. Featuring a fastball that can sometimes reach triple digits, he struck out 26 batters in his 15 2/3 total innings with St. Louis. But he also yielded a total of seven walks, 25 hits and 18 earned runs for a hideous 2.04 WHIP and 10.34 ERA.
Berry, a former member of the Tigers, was batting .194/.265/.290 this year at Triple-A Omaha.
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 0
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 25
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 40
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 30
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 49
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)