Ryan Madson may not pitch in 2013

Jun 23, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT

madson angels getty Getty Images

In a column posted earlier today, MLB.com’s William Boor suggests that Angels reliever Ryan Madson may not pitch in 2013. Madson, recovering from Tommy John surgery, was expected to pitch at some point in the first half, but as he felt elbow soreness after one one-inning rehab appearance with Single-A Inland Empire on May 13, his return date was pushed further and further back.

Madson hasn’t thrown a pitch in the Majors since the end of the 2011 season with the Phillies. He signed a one-year, $8.5 million deal with the Reds, but had to undergo Tommy John surgery. Following the 2012 season, the Angels picked him up on a one-year, $3.5 million deal with performance incentives, but their luck hasn’t been any better.

1. flamethrower101 - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:12 PM

I feel for him. Finally got a chance to close, showed great stuff and got the big money, then he succums to Tommy John surgery and hasn’t been back since. Gotta believe at this point if he doesn’t come back this year the only chance he has to latch onto another team is with a minor league deal.

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:56 PM

I don’t feel that bad for him because of one of those things you listed in your “reasons to feel bad for him”.

Can you guess which one?

• flamethrower101 - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I didn’t say it was a reason TO feel bad for him, I said that “I” felt bad.

And yes I’m aware you’re referring to the money, but can you honestly say you think Ryan Madson is content with sitting on the sidelines thanks to his injury?

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I have no idea if he’s content or not.

I just know I would be content collect $12,000,000 to not pitch.

Hell, I’m doing it right now for free and am pretty content.

2. contraryguy - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:30 PM

All I can think of is the scene in Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the guy keeps saying “I’m not dead yet!”. Because… no, he’s not 100% yet.

3. 13arod - Jun 23, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Sucks for him hope he gets back in the majors

4. dangle1223 - Jun 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM

Yeah it really sucks he has $12 million dollars to wipe away his tears

5. bleedgreen - Jun 23, 2013 at 8:03 PM

He had the opportunity to sign a guaranteed multi year deal with the Phillies and turned it down because Boras told him he could be getting more. Hard to feel bad when he still made $12.5 million over the past 2 years for not pitching. Could have been over $20 Million had he stayed in Philly.

• flamethrower101 - Jun 23, 2013 at 10:33 PM

Maybe he wanted to go to a contending team with a chance at a title. Gotta say his choice of teams was strange…

• bleedgreen - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:25 AM

I recall, no one would give him a better deal than the Phillies did, but by the time he and Boras realized it, the Phils already signed Papelbon and didn’t want/need Madson (Although, the way the BP has been here in Philly, even with a gimp arm he’s likely better than anyone else outside of Papelbon)

6. chew1985 - Jun 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM

Comments above are why I don’t listen or watch any of the jack-sh*t “sports journalism” broadcasts…discussion always turns to money. It’s better to peruse the headlines and skim the paragraphs so you can find actual baseball news.

As a fan of BASEBALL, I wish Ryan only the best. He did a great job as a Phillie and perhaps he’ll come back our way if the baseball gods are doing their homework. There’s no reason to think he won’t pitch in the majors again; but for right now he’s a victim of that old Hee-Haw song…”if it weren’t for bad luck I’d have no luck at all.”

• bleedgreen - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:29 AM

He did do a great job, but he clearly didn’t want to be in Philly. He turned down the best and logest offer he got multiple times before realizing it. I always liked the guy, but I don’t feel bad for him. Even if he never pitches again, he’s made enough money that he never has to work another day in his life, he has a WS ring,

Don’t forget, he declined his option with the Reds to go see MORE money elsewhere, despite having not pitched at all for the Reds but still pocketing $8.5Million. He’s been in the bigs permanently since 2004, thats almost a 10 year career. Not bad at all.

• junglerat524 - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM

His contract with the Reds was for $6 mil with a mutual option in 13 for $11 mil with a $2.5 option. The Reds declined the option not Madson. As would any team after a missed year.

• junglerat524 - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM

$2.5 “buyout” I meant which took his 2012 salary to the 8.5 reported. Sorry

• bleedgreen - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Ah, Wikipedia lists it differently.

Cincinnati Reds[edit]
        During the 2011-12 offseason, Madson agreed to a one year $8.5 million dollar contract.[6] Before the end of Spring Training, Madson had a torn ligament in his right elbow, requiring Tommy John Surgery, and was placed on the disabled list for the 2012 season.[7] He never pitched for the Reds, as he declined his option on October 31 and became a free agent.

7. Dan Camponovo - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:24 AM

had the second best changeup on the phillies staff, after cole. absolutely loved watching him pitch.

8. mianfr - Jun 24, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Putting health issues aside, I’d really love to find a job where I can collect $12M and full medical benefits without doing any real work.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4974)