Jun 23, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
With a 10-game winning streak, the Blue Jays are the hottest team in baseball. But here comes Texas.
The Rangers tallied four runs on eight hits Saturday against Cardinals youngster Shelby Miller and got a promising outing from Martin Perez, winning 4-2 in the second game of a three-game set at Busch Stadium in downtown St. Louis. The eight hits were a season-high for Miller and the win was the Rangers’ fourth in a row. Nelson Cruz hit his 19th home run of the season and A.J. Pierzynski hit his seventh.
The finale of this 2011 World Series rematch is the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball game. It was supposed to feature Adam Wainwright vs. Yu Darvish, but Darvish was bumped to Tuesday for non-physical reasons and Nick Tepesch will start for Texas instead. The Rangers are currently tied at the top of the American League West standings with Oakland.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Marlins 1, Giants 2 (11 innings)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 109
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 153
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 22
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (166)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (155)