A-Rod can return to game action July 1

Jun 24, 2013, 9:43 AM EDT

Alex Rodriguez AP

A-Rod’s a-comin’!

[Alex] Rodriguez … can return to game action a week from Monday, according to his doctors, and is expected to join the Yankees’ Single-A team in Tampa, where he has been rehabbing since hip surgery in January. Yankees GM Brian Cashman told the Daily News Sunday that while he hasn’t discussed an exact date for A-Rod’s return to game action, “it sounds like it’s on schedule. He’s been running, throwing, fielding, and I know it’s approaching. It’s coming.”

That elipses was to take out a reference to Anthony Bosch and Biogenesis which has absolutely nothing to do with A-Rod’s rehab but which the Daily News feels obligated to insert into every reference to A-Rod. Question: do they do this with Frankie Cervelli? Nelson Cruz? One wonders …

A-Rod probably needs about 20 games before he can play in the bigs again, Brian Cashman says.  So watch for the man everyone loves to hate just after the All-Star break.

1. Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Easily the most anxiously awaited return since Godzilla’s second night in Tokyo.

• nbjays - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Gator, I’m assuming you mean the real Godzilla and not Hidecki Matsui.

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM

You are correct.

I don’t actually know where Matsui went when he got home, but I assume that given his video viewing proclivities he spent the first night sleeping off the jet leg and on the second, the Ginza was his first stop. Waiter! An order of fuku and that geisha with the Hiroshige print kimono over there!

• historiophiliac - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Well, he’s no Sally Rand.

2. breastfedted - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Likewise, Craig, you can’t seem to write a blog entry without bringing up Bosch and how you think he’s the spawn of Satan. Anyway, your wet dreams about steroids are going to become a nightly occurrence once your hero A-rod returns to play. Your infatuation with worshipping these cheaters just because they’re good at baseball is creepy, considering you’re a grown man and all.

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Once again, you’ve placed your acute imbecility on public display. I don’t know if you’re simply clueless about what a complete moron you’ve made yourself out to be here, or if you actually enjoy posing as a cretin – kinda like flashing a playground, you know?

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Ted:
      Your obsession with all things C.C. related is unhealthy.
      Ironically…you use the word “infatuation” when referring to C.C.’s potential worship of various players. But it is YOUR “infatuation” with C.C. that is creeping me out.

• cur68 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:21 AM

^^^^THIS

3. mybrunoblog - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:21 AM

All these years and I’ve never completely understood why some fans hate this guy. I guess it’s easy to say that’s it’s the $ but it can’t be just that. Plenty of guys make obscene $ in MLB and nobody bats an eye. Even among my fellow Yankee fans there are some who hate this guy. Not me. He is a hard worker, plays hard, plays hurt and has won multiple MVP awards for the Yanks. Do I love this guy like a Jeter or Mo? No, absolutely not but I respect his talent and admire his contributions to the team. And yes, his PED use bugs the hell out of me.

• nbjays - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:57 AM

A lot of people can’t stand A-Rod because of the amount of of bush-league shit he has perpetrated over the years. To me it’s not the money (if anyone is to be castigated for those obscene contracts, it isn’t A-Rod but the idiots who thought he was worth that much), it is the fact that he does childish crap on the field and then goes all wide-eyed innocent when he’s called on it. Unprofessional at best, immature and bush-league at worst.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I can think of two issues* you might bring up. First the Bronson Arroyo “karate chop”, but what if I showed you proof that Dustin Pedroia did the same exact thing? Yet, no one brings him up as “childish”. The second thing I can think of is the “mine” yell in Toronto, but multiple old school players (Joe Morgan for instance) mentioned that kind of stuff happened all the time.

*the third is the Dallas Braden thing, but that was so ridiculously contrived it should have been a MTV show.

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I can only assume that Jeter acting like a pitch that did hit him did hit him bothered the hell out of you…especially after he was awarded 1st base, as he stood on the base looking at his forearm and rubbing it while replays were showing that the ball didn’t come anywhere close to him.

Now, if that didn’t bother you, then you just don’t like ARod and are using these opportunity to confirm your previously held opinion….which is fine, just don’t act like the few events you are using to reinforce an opinion are the actual basis for that opinion.

• bigharold - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM

“…I’ve never completely understood why some fans hate this guy.”

I tend to agree with your positions but in all fairness I’d have to say he earns it inasmuch as he comes across a bit self absorbed and disconnected. His doing an interview with 60 Minutes stating emphatically that he never used PEDs and then getting outted is, for me, the thing that people can’t get past. That and the fact that he certainly didn’t need the advantage that PEDs offered in the first place. He was one of the best players in the game, had attained the biggest contract in sports history and that, for some reason, wasn’t enough. That is a type of greed or ambition that most people will find hard to overlook.

Interestingly, he was on the same list as David Ortiz but takes far more grief despite the fact that after being outted he said he did take PEDs. Ortiz stated he wasn’t aware that he had failed a PED test, which is not believable on any level, and that he’d investigate exactly what he tested positive for so as to offer an explanation to his teammates and fans, .. which he never did. And, yet Ortiz isn’t nearly as vilified. A-Rod’s teammate Jason Giambi who was also caught actually apologized to the fans and his teammates but wouldn’t state what he was apologizing for also gets a pass. He’s not only got a great reputation with the fans he was actually in consideration for the Rockies manager position earlier this year. I don’t give A-Rod a lot of credit for fessing up that he used PEDs because he only fessed up after he was outted but he did more than either Ortiz and Giambi and they are viewed far more positively than A-Rod. Go figure.

I get it, it’s a lot of things that go into hating A-Rod. Even without his PED past A-Rod was never going to be on the same level as Jeter or Rivera for Yankee fans or others. But the amount of grief he takes relative to everybody else in MLB over this is unreasonable and illogical. For the people that hate him there is a disconnect between his transgressions as compared to others that is so vast it can not be rationally explained. It’s as if his PED usage plus his contract plus his perceived smugness don’t add up to the level of hate fort he guy, .. it increases it exponentially. And forget about him having Cameron Diaz hand feeding him popcorn at the Superbowl in a luxury suite. I could almost here Mel Brooke voice over saying “It’s good to be the King”. Most folks aren’t digging that either.

But, he did put himself in the position to take this heat, as a MLB it comes with the territory and he is being compensated rather nicely. Besides, did he really think that he was getting all this money just to play baseball?

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM

While it was definitely a shitty thing to do, that interview took place in ’07. He was hated well before that, with plenty of articles from NY sports writers talking about how the Yankees would be better off with a Scott Brosius talent than Arod at 3rd.

• bigharold - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM

” He was hated well before that, with plenty of articles from NY sports writers talking about how the Yankees would be better off with a Scott Brosius talent than Arod at 3rd.”

NY Sports writers?? Come on. .. it’s their job to stir the pot. Anybody that thought that the Yankees would be better off with Brosius as opposed A-Rod either don’t know anything about baseball or are merely willing to demonstrate their utter hate for A-Rod. I liked Brosius, loved the way he played and appreciated everything he did for the Yankees especially his big moments in the post season but this isn’t a popularity contest. Both guys at their best isn’t even a contest.

Take away A-Rods image issues, much of which are admittedly self inflected, and you have a gifted, extremely hard working, GG SS, (that when arrived was considered superior defensively to the home town hero), that was willing to change positions in order to fit in and not ruffle anyone feelings. People either for get that or completely discount it. The animosity he generates is hard to explain with his PED history and frankly unfathomably without it. I might not prefer to hang out with A-Rod as opposed to any number of Yankees but when he’s right physically I want him hitting clean up and playing 3B for my team.

What happens on the field is baseball, everything else is business. Either way, it’s not a popularity contest.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I completely agree, but I have, unfortunately, many members of mine and my wife’s family that still live in NY who eat that shit up. They listen to Fatcesca and believe everything he says. They read Lupica and wonder, “would we better off with Brosius instead of Arod”. This happened even after ’07 when he put up that monster year.

It’s like the media/fan reaction that LeBron dealt with this year. Literally one year after he won a championship, people were honestly writing whether he was “clutch” or could “handle the pressure”. The same shit Arod dealt with in ’10 and still deals with!

• bigharold - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM

“.. many members of mine and my wife’s family… read Lupica ..”

If a loved one reads Lupica the only thing I can say is get them help, .. hopefully it’s not too late. And, maybe don’t let them have access to sharp objects.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 24, 2013 at 5:10 PM

It’s family unfortunately. Hell my wife is a Sox fan and even she tells them they are ridiculous.

• baseballer28 - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Yeah, well I absolutely hate this a$#hole…he carried them in that 2009 world series and he was all jacked up. Philly got cheated out of a WS by this fuck.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:21 PM

JC Romero was on the Phillies in ’09, and he was actually busted for cheating. So that evens it out right?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Did ARod tell Pedro to throw meatballs to Matsui all day long?

I wouldn’t bet my fandom on any team being clean from PEDs. We know more about the NY teams because that is where the biggest information leaks have come from (so far). I would guess that other teams are using at least as much.

4. uyf1950 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:24 AM

And his return will be none to soon. Even all he does in DH right handed to start out with. Then after getting his feet wet so to speak ease him into 3rd base duties 75% of A-Rod right now is better then the alternatives at 3rd base and DH. That’s just my opinion.

5. cocheese000 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Who is Craig more obsessed with, A Rod or Delmon Young?

6. historiophiliac - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:33 AM

Doom.

• bigharold - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Wishful thinking….

• historiophiliac - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Not really. Just having fun. But, I *do* belong to Hater Nation. :)

• bigharold - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM

That’s OK, we here on the bridge of the Death Star are used to it.

• badintent - Jun 24, 2013 at 5:01 PM

That Lupica smackdown was funny !! Lupica and A-rod have many things in common.Starting with they’re both full of crap up to their eyeballs. It wouldn’t surprise me if ARodless used Lupica to put out disinformation for spin. I still remember Arodless’s Esquire article about him being “the next big Yankee thing” when he joined the team. It reminded me of Reggie Jackson’s stupidity about Munson” can only stir the drink wrong”

7. 161andriver - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I can only speak of this as a Yankee fan, but the sooner the better. There are only so many games I can stand to watch the Yankees lose 3-1. Even A Rod at 75% is better than what Joe Girardi writes on the lineup card nightly.

8. nbjays - Jun 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Which is funny to this admitted Yankee-hater, based on the talk a month or so ago that the Yankees were going all the way to the World Series riding the coattails of the “reborn” Vernon Wells, Travis Hafner and Kevin Youkilis.

• bigharold - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:43 PM

We here in the Universe were pleasantly surprised wit the contributions of Hafner, Wells, Youkils and Overbay. Nobody expected any of them let alone all of them to keep it up all season.

The pitching has been great but the Yankees still need the big guns to come back and be the big guns. Or at least not pop guns.

Don’t yuk it up just yet. The Jays had to go on an 11-0 run to get above .500 and back in contention. You aren’t expecting that to keep up all season either, are you?

9. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Jun 24, 2013 at 5:08 PM

All he can do is come back a play good baseball. Some people will appreciate it, some people won’t. He can’t control that or the other stuff people choose to talk about. Hopefully he is healthy enough after getting both hips repaired that he can do some damage at the plate. That is the most important thing.

10. protius - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:15 PM

According to a Monday, 1:59PM, ESPN interview, Brian Cashman refutes the Daily News article.

The articl can be accessed at this link: http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/9416841/alex-rodriguez-new-york-yankees-getting-closer-start-rehab-stint

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4091)