Jun 24, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
When Angel Pagan discussed the small tear in his left hamstring tendon over the weekend, he said that he would miss about six weeks if the injury required surgery. It turns out that he’ll have to miss significantly more time.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that Pagan will undergo surgery tomorrow and is expected to miss 12 weeks. In other words, he’s at risk for missing the rest of the regular season. That’s a tough blow for the defending World Series champions.
Bochy plans to roll with Gregor Blanco as his primary center fielder and leadoff man while Pagan is sidelined, though Andres Torres and Juan Perez also figure to see playing time there. There’s still about five weeks until the trade deadline, so the Giants still have time to look for potential upgrades in the outfield.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)