Jun 24, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
When Angel Pagan discussed the small tear in his left hamstring tendon over the weekend, he said that he would miss about six weeks if the injury required surgery. It turns out that he’ll have to miss significantly more time.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that Pagan will undergo surgery tomorrow and is expected to miss 12 weeks. In other words, he’s at risk for missing the rest of the regular season. That’s a tough blow for the defending World Series champions.
Bochy plans to roll with Gregor Blanco as his primary center fielder and leadoff man while Pagan is sidelined, though Andres Torres and Juan Perez also figure to see playing time there. There’s still about five weeks until the trade deadline, so the Giants still have time to look for potential upgrades in the outfield.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)