Jun 24, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT
When Angel Pagan discussed the small tear in his left hamstring tendon over the weekend, he said that he would miss about six weeks if the injury required surgery. It turns out that he’ll have to miss significantly more time.
Giants manager Bruce Bochy told Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com that Pagan will undergo surgery tomorrow and is expected to miss 12 weeks. In other words, he’s at risk for missing the rest of the regular season. That’s a tough blow for the defending World Series champions.
Bochy plans to roll with Gregor Blanco as his primary center fielder and leadoff man while Pagan is sidelined, though Andres Torres and Juan Perez also figure to see playing time there. There’s still about five weeks until the trade deadline, so the Giants still have time to look for potential upgrades in the outfield.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)