Jun 24, 2013, 9:13 AM EDT
Bob Nightengale of USA Today sat down for a candid interview with Arte Moreno. Who, aside from not liking the fact that he gets an earful from fans when he tries to go to his favorite bar, is taking a more zen approach to the Angels’ struggles than you might expect.
He still defends picking up Albert Pujols and Josh Hamilton in the past two seasons, saying that on paper they looked like great acquisitions. He is baffled by Hamilton’s struggles but has told him that he’s going to be around for five years so he shouldn’t try to fix all of his problems with one swing. He thinks that GM Jerry Dipoto’s system needs more time to work. He has faith in Mike Scioscia and still considers him the best manager in baseball. The upshot: nothing drastic is going to happen now. All decisions involving personnel and management will wait until after the season is over.
Overall: you gotta kinda like Moreno after reading this interview. He’s not enjoying losing, but he’s well-aware of how lucky he is and how overall Anaheim’s financial and ballpark situation is pretty advantageous to him. You feel like he likes baseball a lot and that he’s just as gobsmacked as any Angels fan that things aren’t working out well on the field right now.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)