Are the Phillies toast?

Jun 24, 2013, 1:35 PM EDT

Phillies Logo

I’m not calling any race yet because it feels like every time I call a race or, at the very least, count a team out, they go on some run and make me look dumb. The 2010 Giants were the best/worst ever in this regard. I actually had to wear a Giants shirt and cap on an HBT Daily video as a monument to my wrongness.

But even if I won’t make definitive calls like that, I will lean hard on the notion that a given team is in a Goose-level flatspin. The Phillies sorta feel that way to me now. Could they surprise? Sure. I just don’t see what could change to make that happen.

Corey Seidman of CSNPhilly.com gives me even greater reason to doubt today, noting that no team with a run differential as bad as the Phillies’ at this point (-58) has ever made the playoffs.

Seven and a half games isn’t an insurmountable hill to climb. But the bones of this team have caused it to be outscored by an awful lot, and it’s hard to see how that dynamic changes any time soon.

1. chip56 - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Someone is bored and trolling Philly fans I think…not that there’s anything wrong with that.

2. phillyupperdecker - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Yes, the Phillies are done for this year. They are a .500 ball club and will be for the next few years. RAJ has to get creative to fix this thing. He was hoping on everything clicking at once this season, Hamels, Halladay, and Lee dominating and Utley and Howard getting healthy. Obviously that plan isn’t working. Coming back next year with that pitching, and possibly two new starters at 3B and RF could add some added pop to the lineup and put them back on the right path. The way the team is configured currently they are not contenders.

• jwbiii - Jun 24, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Have you seen the Free Agents Я Us market lately? The best available 3Bs and RFs are Mark Reynolds and Hunter Pence. Do you really think they’ll help much.

• phillyupperdecker - Jun 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM

Agree. Not much out there. Ruben has to get creative. A few names that might work in RF Michael Morse or Corey Hart. These guys are both 32 next year, should hit above .280 and bring some power. 3B is weak for FA, could see Frandsen playing everyday here next year.

3. ryanrockzzz - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I don’t see it with the Phillies this year either. They really don’t appear to have any chemistry, and the bullpen is awful. The Ruben Amaro Jr philosophy of never using advanced metrics also hurts this team as well. Funny thing was, the offense was bad 2 years ago, when they couldn’t hit against the Cardinals. That was the offseason RAJ thought it would be important to set the market for closers and sign Papelbon, and ignore the offense entirely. Most Phillies fans could see this thing coming for a while now.

• commonsenseisnotcmonman - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I agree with this, although I was happy to see the signed Papelbon, when they only signed Juan Pierre for an offense that was going to be without some big bats, I knew trouble was on the way.
      Juan Pierre did a pretty good job by the way, not sure Revere (sans this current hot streak) is making that much of difference.

• ryanrockzzz - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

My problem with Revere is that his extreme lack of power causes teams to play him so shallow he really has no room to hit the ball. He’s on a nice streak, but the biggest dissapointment to me has been his average defensive play. I thought he would be a little better out there. I actually really liked Juan Pierre, and what he brought to the team. He had some pop, and looked like he was a good fit with the other veteran players.

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

This team may be lacking chemistry, but it is the lack of talent that has them playing sub-.500 ball. They could go to the lab this winter and develop all kinds of chemistry….but if they come back with this same level of talent, they are still going to be a sub-.500 team.

4. specialkindofstupid - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:48 PM

I think we should at least wait until July 25 to declare them toast. After all, a lot could happen in the next 10 hours and 12 minutes.

• tuberippin - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:06 PM

June 25th is tomorrow.

July 25th is next month.

• kurtstallings - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I think he was counting in dog hours. Sideways. Sort of.

5. gallaghedj311 - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:49 PM

And everyone thought the bullpen would be a strength this year. Ha! Never….. Is it football season yet?

6. temporarilyexiled - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:12 PM

More like a saltine – otherwise devoid of flavor and definitely bad for you – but salty.

7. Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I know how disappointed and pissed off he must be, and I also know that he’s said repeatedly that he’s more of a Feelies fan than a pure baseball fan, but I’d very much like to know what Chris Fiorentino thinks about the situation and what he thinks Reuben Amaro ought to be doing about it.

8. topwonk - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM

When your manager says he doesn’t see what he can do to make the situation better, and wonders out loud whether they can get back into playoff contention, it is pretty much over – for the team and him. Time to dump whatever veterans they can (other than Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels), retool with prospects, and bring on the next manager.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:55 PM

As much as people rag a little on Charlie, I have to say Sandberg hasn’t really impressed. Have you seen the kind of decisions he’s made as 3B Coach by sending in Mack Truck after Mack Truk to get nailed at home plate? I haven’t kept count, but I wouldn’t be surprised to learn Sandberg has cost more wins than Charlie Manual by all those Delmon Young, Michael Young, Ryan Howard outs at home plate.

9. heyblueyoustink - Jun 24, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Toast? How about an English muffin, nooks and crannies and such?

10. Francisco (FC) - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Are the Phillies toast?

They are a crispy brown at the moment. Still soft but hot enough to start melting the better. If they stay in there much longer though, they are indeed, gonna be toast!

11. icanspeel - Jun 24, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Toast? No. In Trouble? Probably. You never know though.. Look at the Blue Jays. 11 games ago people probably thought they were toast, but all of a sudden they have a chance. The ASG is a good indicator to see where a team is before considering them toast.

12. schmedley69 - Jun 24, 2013 at 7:33 PM

If they played in another division the Phillies would definitely be toast, but thanks to the Braves ineptitude they still have a chance. It’s a longshot, but it’s still possible that they can right the ship. The Braves are not a team to be feared.

• Francisco (FC) - Jun 24, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Heck the entire NL East is not to be feared. I’m afraid they are taking over “Worst Divsion in Baseball” honors this year from the AL Central.

• schmedley69 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM

Yeah, it’s bad. That’s why you have to really be blown away with an offer to trade Lee or Papelbon, because with the right moves in the offseason you can be right back in the race next year. They could still get back in it this year too, but the bullpen situation is looking pretty bleak.

13. strk3 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:48 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I know not to expect much from Craig, but it’s embarrassing when his trolling is this blatant.

14. toodrunktotastethischicken - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:08 AM

If they’re getting good at anything, it’s finding ways to lose.

15. phillies816 - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Except for the fact that there is no heart, no offense, no defense, no bullpen, the manager, coaches, scouts, and GM suck, and the ownership is idiotic, the Phillies are in good shape. They better do something to bring back prospects at the deadline and either make trades or sign FAs in the offseason to get some juice back into the fanbase. CBP is in danger of being as empty as the Vet was soon.

16. foreverchipper10 - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:21 AM

17. dannythebisforbeast - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:33 PM

RAJ needs to go which wont happen cause he’s a Phillies legacy.
    Anybody could have traded the farm
    For Halladay,Lee and Pence. Anybody could sign Howard and others to max deals. It’s the little moves -relievers, utility guys, diamonds in the rough that he hasn’t hit one that I can really think of. The lineup with the big names is average without them is garbage. I don’t believe he can fix it. I don’t trust if they sell hell get value in return..mainly cause Ed Wade is with the Phils again.

Three legends off to Cooperstown