Jun 24, 2013, 8:10 PM EST
The Astros announced this evening that left-hander Wade LeBlanc has been designated for assignment while infielder Marwin Gonzalez has been optioned to Triple-A Oklahoma City. The team will announce corresponding roster moves tomorrow.
LeBlanc was claimed off waivers from the Marlins earlier this month and allowed five runs (four earned) on four hits and three walks over 3 2/3 innings with the club. The 29-year-old has a 5.50 ERA and 32/18 K/BB ratio in 52 1/3 innings over seven starts and nine relief appearances overall this season.
Gonzalez has struggled after getting off to a hot start this season, hitting just .230 with a .589 OPS and a 33/5 K/BB ratio in 54 games. Prospect shortstop Jonathan Villar is a possibility to replace him on the active roster, though Jake Elmore could be called up first as a stopgap.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)