Heath Bell is still the Diamondbacks’ closer for some reason

Jun 24, 2013, 8:53 AM EST

Heath Bell Getty Getty Images

Heath Bell gave up a homer in his fifth consecutive game on Saturday and his ERA is at 5.02, but he’s still the Dbacks’ closer reports Tyler Emerick of MLB.com:

“Pretty much the way it is, he’s going to be our closer,” D-backs manager Kirk Gibson said. “We want to get him turned around  … Is the right thing to do to put [Bell] in the fire again, or give him a day off? I’m a strong advocate of defeating the beast.”

Gibson may still use other guys in various situations depending on the matchups, he said, but Bell is still apparently covered in magic closer’s fairy dust. Because, one assume, once upon a time he had some success as a closer.

1. dondada10 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Next time I strike out at a bar with a lady, I’m going to go right back up to her. Why? Well, I’m a strong advocate of defeating the beast.

What’s that you say? It’s not gonna work?

Neither is Bell closing.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:08 AM

I may, over the next several weeks, put your theory to practice, and count how many times I get slapped/punched.

• ptfu - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Bell’s been knocked around a lot too, you guys can compare notes. Or bruises, if that’s grittier.

• chacochicken - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:54 AM

From my experience, this can work reasonably well. I call it the Ryan Theriot Stolen Base approach. If you can just get on base in the late innings you are bound to advanced with fielder’s indifference. Extending this absurd metaphor to Heath, well, he should try buy the hitters drinks before the at bats.

• heyblueyoustink - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:29 AM

I like the absurd metaphor to be truthful. Chanelling my inner Theriot as I type.

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Next time a chick turns you down, ask her if she believes in entropy on a first date. See what happens.

2. stex52 - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I guess the grit jokes are getting old. But I don’t have another explanation. I kind of think the beast has already won.

• paperlions - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

While quickly scanning through the comments, I read “beast” as “breast” and immediately thought you were making a moobs joke, like they chose the closer with the biggest man boobs.

• stex52 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Paper, Paper. That dirty mind will do you in. :-)

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM

How is paper wrong? They did.

3. icanspeel - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:35 AM

I don’t get it.. So many managers seem to think a closer who used to be successful, but no longer is successful is better suited to close than their best current bullpen performer.

4. yahmule - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Isn’t Putz due back pretty soon?

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Yes, and that should certainly improve dondada and heyblue”s success rates.

5. rcali - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Bell is Bell. Nothing has changed from last year. Putz isn’t that great anymore either but he’ll get the shot again once he gets back from the DL after a few warmups.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester