Jeremy Hellickson dominates as Rays end Blue Jays’ winning streak at 11 games

Jun 24, 2013, 9:58 PM EDT

Jeremy Hellickson Getty Getty Images

The streak is over. Jeremy Hellickson allowed just one hit over seven scoreless innings tonight as the Rays topped the Blue Jays 4-1 at Tropicana Field. And just like that, Toronto’s winning streak ends at 11 games.

Hellickson entered tonight’s start with a 5.50 ERA on the year, but a second-inning single by J.P. Arencibia was the only offense the Blue Jays could muster against him. They squandered a bases-loaded opportunity against Alex Torres in the eighth inning, as they could only get one run on a fielder’s choice off the bat of Jose Bautista.

The Rays got all the offense they would need in the bottom of the second inning, as James Loney, Wil Myers, and Sam Fuld hit consecutive solo home runs off losing pitcher Esmil Rogers. You can watch the video of Myers’ shot below. It was a majestic blast.

1. nbjays - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:13 PM

It was a great run and it sure tightened up the AL East — only 5.5 games separate 1st and 5th. That’s half a game less than the 1st to 2nd gap in the NL East. Now things will get interesting.

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM

Yep. Hellickson can be terrific but tonight, I think, the Beavers were just emotionally flat after the euphoria of sweeping the Orioles. They walked up to the plate like they’d rather be undressing for bed. Plus, of course, there’s the emotionally deadening effect of walking into that great airless metastatic Morlock dome nestled into the St. Petersburg slums.If I’m the Gibbon, I take my guys to the Salvador Dali Museum across the street first, just to imbue them with an prophylactic sense of effervescent absurdity before walking into that dump. If not, at the very least, take them for a quick drive to Sarasota to explore the hall of horse drawn steam calliope wagons at the Ringling Brothers Museum. Something, anything to buffer their psyches against three days in the Trap.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:16 AM

“…Prophylactic sense of effervescent absurdity..”

I would never think these 5 words would be able to be put in the same sentence in this order. You, Mr. Gator are a true wordsmith. Holy shit.

• cur68 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:34 AM

Yeah, they were pretty flat tonight. Hopefully they get their crap in a heap for tomorrow.

• indaburg - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:22 AM

I agree with brewcrew, OG. Words are like clay in a potter’s hand to you.

• Old Gator - Jun 25, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Yeah, well, Freud would have a slightly different metaphor for that, wouldn’t he now?

• Rockie D. Bull - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Your Rays envy and jealously of what an effective baseball organization is like is quite evident OG. But then again – your team is the Blow Feesh and you are still sore and smarting from that stadium deal Uncle Bud and your owner hoodwinked you into. To me, it is very easy to see that the Blow Fish are in a much worse position through 2027 when the Trop lease expires than the Rays are. And the city and fans will be constantly milked dry by the Blow Fish owner whether they show up to games or not.

“If I’m the Gibbon, I take my guys to the Salvador Dali Museum across the street first” – its a little further away than “across the street” but you are excused from the geography slip since you are known as “Old” Gator and correct geography (unlike colorful wordsmithing) may elude you at your age. Your constant bashing of the Trop is laughable, regardless of how clever your wordy posts are, it cannot disguise your Rays envy and the fact that your team got a new stadium and yet…. they still can’t fill it – with fans or a good team.

I’ll take the Trop at its current location and the Rays any day over the the Blow Fish and the new Blow Hole. You built it and the fans still won’t show up – if the Rays build a new stadium in Tampa some place, it will actually make getting there way more challenging than the it is to get to the Trop. The only thing that a new stadium in Tampa will do is take the “crossing a bridge” excuse away from “Tampa” baseball fans – and they still won’t show up (see Bucs, Lightening, Storm).

• Old Gator - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Rockie, have you ever actually read my comments on the Feesh? Do you seriously think you’re going to get under my skin by ragging on the atrocious ownership of the Feesh, anything to do with the deception and corruption attending the construction of Macondo Banana Massacre Field or the quality of play this deliberately emasculated team exhibits or is likely to exhibit? I think the problem is that you’re so hopelessly locked into the homeboy mindset that you think everybody is locked into the homeboy mindset. I don’t know if you’re actually capable of objectivity or not or if you’ve ever experienced it, but it’s something well worth attempting – as is a baseline capability for critical reading of other people’s comments.

As far as your off-the-corner accusation that I “envy” the Rays, let me save you the strain of belaboring the obvious before it gives you a hernia: yes, I do envy the first class organization behind the Rays, admire and respect your superb (as a baseball man and as a human being) manager. What’s more, as Raysfan1, Indaburg and other Tampa Bay fans on this blog can happily attest, I have made no secret whatsoever of my admiration for the organization, the manager and, when performance warrants it, the ballplayers. Moreover, I challenge you to go back as far as you want and find one single example of my ragging on the Rays. Go ahead. Please. No hurry. I’ll be here when you get back – just watch out for Taliban along the way. Incidentally, I often, since Fox Sports Florida carries both teams down here in Macondo, watch the Rays if the Feesh are either not on at the same time or are playing down to their lowly expectations to the point that it’s too painful, or boring, or both, to watch them anymore.

Now about that maugre mausoleum known as the Tropicana Dump: no point in arguing here. You want it, you got it – and the wretched turnout with which it is usually nonpopulated despite the much more deserving bunch of ballplayers interred within its clammy bowels than the ones who play here in Macondo.

And while we’re on the subject, homeboy, the major difference between the lousy turnout at the Trap and the lousy turnout at Macondo Banana Massacre Field is that the execrable Feesh management has systematically, callously and dimwittedly alienated, if not destroyed, all but its hardest core fan base (ie, the friends and families of the administrators, ballplayers and a few hopeless gulls like our old pal Jimmy or brainlocked homeys akin to yourself).

On the other hand, the current management of the Rays has done just about everything possible to accommodate their fans except jack up that charmless burial mound wannabe and float it up the Bay and plunk it down somewhere near a confluence of Interstates where your unappreciative brother and sister homeboys won’t feel too discommoded to get off their fat asses, abandon their couches and drag their inertial carcasses out to the park for a day of crisp and competitive designatedhitterball. Seems to me that a member of a fan community that won’t bother itself to go see a really good team with fan-friendly ownership has absolutely no business calling out a fan community that deliberately boycotts a crummy team impecuniously budgeted by a bloodsucking skinflint.

As far as the Dali Museum, it takes me less than ten minutes to walk there from the Trap. I’ve done it several times. If it seems a whole lot further to you than that, it may just be that you’re as slow afoot as you are acranium.

• flpunx - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:52 PM

The Trop is nowhere NEAR the slums in St. Petersburg. Unlike that beautiful new ballpark in Miami, which is surrounded by flop houses with bars on the windows (to be fair, most of Miami is probably like that, I stayed long enough to watch the Rays leave and then left town). I feel way more comfortable walking to the Trop than I felt driving to Marlins Park. P.S. The Dali also isn’t near the Trop either.

• Old Gator - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:05 PM

Yes it is. And, yes it is.

• Old Gator - Jun 25, 2013 at 5:11 PM

Also, just as a bit of a heestory andgeography lesson for you: (1) the neighborhood of Macondo Banana Massacre Field is full of half million dollar homes as well as blue collar homes, apartments and condos, and (b) the “bars on the windows” are filligreed wrought iron which, thought they do provide some security (though not as much as the layers and layers of electronic surveillance cameras and motion detectors and window traps on much more expensive homes in places like gated communities on the Bay islands), are also a Latin American architectural design convention – we are talking the outliers of Little Havana here, you know? Nice neighborhood – I walk around there pretty comfortably, unlike ignorant paranoids from out of town to whom any shift in demographics feels like being stranded in Jurassic Park.

2. missthemexpos - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Might have been a baseball first in this game. Encarnacion had 2 different bats fly out of his hands into the stands during the same at bat. Now it is quite possible that has happened before, but what was unique in this case was that both fans that ended up with the bats were wearing Blue Jay gear. Now what are the odds of that happening on the road?

• frank433 - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:56 PM

When you pull 1,500 fans a night, your bound to get a lot of road team fans wander in.

• nbjays - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Not only that, but the two bats ended up about 6 feet from each other. Now that’s swing consistency lol

• Old Gator - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Did anyone happen to have an I Ching handy? I would like to have read those bats.

3. 13arod - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:09 AM

missthemexpos Kelly shopic who used to play for Tampa did the same thing

4. jbeagles23 - Jun 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

Hellickson didn’t dominate at all. He was all over the map with his pitches if they jays don’t swing at everything they see lastnight hellickson could’ve had 10 walks

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5536)