Jun 24, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Some people have suggested that Mariano Rivera should be chosen to start the All-Star game for the American League as a way to honor the future Hall of Famer in his final season, but there’s one major problem: Rivera doesn’t want to do it.
“I’ve been told about it, but I don’t like it,” Rivera said, via Joey Nowak of MLB.com. “And the reason why I say that is it’s not what I do. What I do is close the games; I don’t start the games. It’s a privilege and honor, but I’m not contemplating it.”
Obviously starting would guarantee him an appearance, whereas there’s only a 50-50 chance of the AL holding a lead going into the ninth inning, but wouldn’t it be a whole lot more exciting if Rivera closed out the All-Star game?
Of course, we could also just agree not to let Rivera retire. I mean, the guy has a league-leading 26 saves and a 1.61 ERA. Strictly in the interest of figuring out exactly what humans are capable of I say he should be forced to keep pitching until his ERA rises above, say, 3.00 for a season.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 90
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 50
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (92)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)