Jun 24, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Some people have suggested that Mariano Rivera should be chosen to start the All-Star game for the American League as a way to honor the future Hall of Famer in his final season, but there’s one major problem: Rivera doesn’t want to do it.
“I’ve been told about it, but I don’t like it,” Rivera said, via Joey Nowak of MLB.com. “And the reason why I say that is it’s not what I do. What I do is close the games; I don’t start the games. It’s a privilege and honor, but I’m not contemplating it.”
Obviously starting would guarantee him an appearance, whereas there’s only a 50-50 chance of the AL holding a lead going into the ninth inning, but wouldn’t it be a whole lot more exciting if Rivera closed out the All-Star game?
Of course, we could also just agree not to let Rivera retire. I mean, the guy has a league-leading 26 saves and a 1.61 ERA. Strictly in the interest of figuring out exactly what humans are capable of I say he should be forced to keep pitching until his ERA rises above, say, 3.00 for a season.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 30
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 30
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 71
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)