Mariano Rivera doesn’t want to start the All-Star game

Jun 24, 2013, 11:19 AM EST

Mariano Rivera AP

Some people have suggested that Mariano Rivera should be chosen to start the All-Star game for the American League as a way to honor the future Hall of Famer in his final season, but there’s one major problem: Rivera doesn’t want to do it.

“I’ve been told about it, but I don’t like it,” Rivera said, via Joey Nowak of MLB.com. “And the reason why I say that is it’s not what I do. What I do is close the games; I don’t start the games. It’s a privilege and honor, but I’m not contemplating it.”

Obviously starting would guarantee him an appearance, whereas there’s only a 50-50 chance of the AL holding a lead going into the ninth inning, but wouldn’t it be a whole lot more exciting if Rivera closed out the All-Star game?

Of course, we could also just agree not to let Rivera retire. I mean, the guy has a league-leading 26 saves and a 1.61 ERA. Strictly in the interest of figuring out exactly what humans are capable of I say he should be forced to keep pitching until his ERA rises above, say, 3.00 for a season.

1. specialkindofstupid - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Given his selfless approach to his final season (Example: delivering pizza to an employee who has worked two decades behind the scenes), this doesn’t surprise me. Starting an All-Star game would be putting Rivera front and center, above everyone else. That just hasn’t been his style.

2. stex52 - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Either the biggest phony in the history of the MLB or a really classy guy who knows his role and is comfortable in it.

I vote #2. I imagine about 99.9% of us would enjoy knowing Mo personally.

• beachnbaseball - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:40 PM

I’ve never read a disparaging comment about Rivera. Ever. He is class defined and baseball has been better because of him.

• raysfan1 - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I don’t understand the thumbs down for either of the above comments. I’d think any baseball fan has to agree with these comments and also applaud just how great a player he’s been, even as a fan of a rival.

3. rbj1 - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Of course he’s going to pitch the 9th inning for the AL no matter what the score is (unless it’s tied.)

4. chip56 - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

Baseball will miss Rivera the person even more than the Yankees will miss Rivera the player.

5. Liam - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM

If Rivera kept pitching forever I’d set the over/under on his next >3 ERA at 2034.

• number42is1 - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Looks like we finally found a hater…

6. stlouis1baseball - Jun 24, 2013 at 12:50 PM

I try to bash/disparage all things Yankees related as much as anyone else.
    But this right here…

“And the reason why I say that is it’s not what I do. What I do is close the games; I don’t start the games.”

Mariano Rivera is sincere. A class act. We are privileged to have watched him perform his craft.

• Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Amen, brother.

7. mgv38 - Jun 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM

On a related note, Derek Jeter has announced he would like to start the All-Star Game.

8. bigharold - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:12 PM

“…he should be forced to keep pitching until his ERA rises above, say, 3.00 for a season.”

The booing and hissing you hear is from the fans of every other AL East team because frankly they’ve had enough.

• raysfan1 - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Nah, but I do slightly shake my head and think “I wish he was on the Rays.”

9. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:33 PM

And who’s to say he couldn’t completely reinvent himself either? Check out this post by Mike Axisa of riveraveblues.com*. Rivera has started to break out a two seamer, and use it more frequently. Not only is he using this pitch more often, the info on it is insane. 93.8mph AND just under 10″ of horizontal movement (the swollen colon, who loves himself some two seamers, averages 9.5″ of movement). Does anyone doubt he couldn’t throw for another 5/10 years with these two pitches?

*http://riveraveblues.com/2013/06/mo-turns-to-two-seamer-after-recent-rough-struggles-89464/

10. Old Gator - Jun 24, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Mariano Rivera has more than earned the right to do or not do whatever he Buddhadamned well feels like doing or not doing.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester