Jun 24, 2013, 7:42 PM EDT
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Padres will attempt to upgrade their starting rotation leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. While the club currently sits at 38-38 on the year, their starters rank 25th in the majors with a 4.56 ERA. And Heyman hears that they have at least had discussions about a familiar face.
Their limited revenues could prevent serious runs at any ace who may hit the trade market, though in what seems like a positive sign anyway, there’s word Padres people at least internally have discussed some bigger names — including even their former star Jake Peavy (though there’s no evidence they’ll make a serious run at Peavy in particular).
Of course, Peavy was drafted by the Padres in 1999 and spent the first eight years of his career with the club before being traded to the White Sox in July of 2009. Currently sidelined with a non-displaced fracture in his rib cage, the 32-year-old right-hander is still owed around $22 million through the end of 2014.
Not surprisingly, Heyman considers names like Ricky Nolasco and Bud Norris as more realistic targets, though there figures to be plenty of competition for them. Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune mentioned the Orioles’ Jake Arrieta as a possibility yesterday.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (86)