Jun 24, 2013, 7:42 PM EST
CBS Sports’ Jon Heyman reports that the Padres will attempt to upgrade their starting rotation leading up to the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. While the club currently sits at 38-38 on the year, their starters rank 25th in the majors with a 4.56 ERA. And Heyman hears that they have at least had discussions about a familiar face.
Their limited revenues could prevent serious runs at any ace who may hit the trade market, though in what seems like a positive sign anyway, there’s word Padres people at least internally have discussed some bigger names — including even their former star Jake Peavy (though there’s no evidence they’ll make a serious run at Peavy in particular).
Of course, Peavy was drafted by the Padres in 1999 and spent the first eight years of his career with the club before being traded to the White Sox in July of 2009. Currently sidelined with a non-displaced fracture in his rib cage, the 32-year-old right-hander is still owed around $22 million through the end of 2014.
Not surprisingly, Heyman considers names like Ricky Nolasco and Bud Norris as more realistic targets, though there figures to be plenty of competition for them. Bill Center of the San Diego Union-Tribune mentioned the Orioles’ Jake Arrieta as a possibility yesterday.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 5
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 54
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 44
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 137
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (138)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)