Wanna buy Bernie Williams’ house?

Jun 24, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT

Bernie Williams House

It’s a good house. Not great, even if people want to say it’s better than it is, and it’s probably thought of as nicer than it is simply because it’s in New York. But it is really good. And classy. Apropos of its owner:

Bernie Williams took to the batter’s box during the New York Yankees’ Old Timers’ Day over the weekend, but off the field the retired outfielder is looking to pitch. Williams, a five-time All-Star and four-time World Series champion with the Bronx Bombers, has put his North Castle mansion on the market for a cool $3.5 million.

I’ve noticed a pattern with these ballplayer houses: most rooms look like they’ve never been lived in and then you come across a couple where you know they were all the time. The couple of rooms where the owner told the real estate agent’s stagers “Nope, not taking my stuff out of here. This is my room.”

For Williams it’s clearly the recording studio and the room with the blue leather furniture. Everything else he probably just walks through quickly to get to the recording studio and the room with the blue leather furniture.

1. tfbuckfutter - Jun 24, 2013 at 5:31 PM

$3.5 million seems a little high.

Bernie should start a rumor that Dan Duquette is interested in the house.

He can probably get Cashman to buy it for $5,000,000.

2. asimonetti88 - Jun 24, 2013 at 5:35 PM

I like the music room with the bongo.

3. hojo20 - Jun 24, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Bernie’s gym that’s pictured is bigger than the one I go to.

• bigharold - Jun 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM

I live in a townhouse community and the pool is bigger than ours.

4. larrymahnken - Jun 24, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Bernie Williams might have been a Hall of Famer if he hadn’t run into that wall in Seattle. Hurt his knee badly, and was never the same hitter after that.

5. APBA Guy - Jun 24, 2013 at 7:51 PM

The lead house in the Chron’s “to drool for” story du jour was 4900 sq feet overlooking the North Bay and the Golden Gate. It goes for $8.95M. You might say the view is worth the extra $ 5M, except it’s also half the size of Bernie’s place, and is closer to its neighbors.

6. tfbuckfutter - Jun 24, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Thehell, dude?

Buy a new TV.

7. yahmule - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Not bad, but I’m waiting on Aaron Hernandez’ house. I smell a distress sale coming.

• mybrunoblog - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM

Do u really want a house where some guy was shot in the head?

• tfbuckfutter - Jun 24, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Brains on the wall is a good conversation starter.

• yahmule - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:03 AM

That will be the nursery.

8. romoscollarbone - Jun 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM

I don’t feel like Bernabe Figueroa Williams is there too often. Still with the DLP tv, and the couches from ’99

9. jfk69 - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:09 AM

Based on the comps I will need the trophy room included.

10. jm91rs - Jun 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM

My favorite of all the former-players houses you’ve listed so far. I love the yard. And that gym is nice. I wouldn’t have any excuse to be stuck at 160lbs if I had a gym like that.

11. mgv38 - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

“It’s a good house. Not great, even if people want to say it’s better than it is, and it’s probably thought of as nicer than it is simply because it’s in New York.”

Sounds like the house is being described the same way people think about Bernie.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3641)