Jun 24, 2013, 12:46 PM EDT
And apparently the Pirates might send him back to the minors. General manager Neal Huntington said on his radio show Sunday that demoting Cole would make “smart business sense” once the Pirates’ other starters are healthy.
Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette writes that part of the move would simply be due to Cole having minor-league options and the Pirates having six starters for five spots, but sending the former No. 1 pick back to the minors would also limit his service time enough for Cole to avoid “Super 2″ arbitration status down the line.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 17
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 25
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 105
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8