Alex Cobb returned to Tropicana Field, talked about his scary injury

Jun 25, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT

Alex Cobb Getty Images

Alex Cobb returned to Tropicana Field yesterday, nine days after being nailed by a comebacker and being carted off the field. He is still not physically right — he is prone to dizziness and vertigo as a result of his concussion — but he sounds optimistic and determined to pitch yet this year:

“I’ve read a few things where people don’t think I’m going to pitch again this year,” Cobb said. “There can’t be anything further from the truth. I’ll be ready to go as soon as my body is ready.”

This is, he has no idea when his body will be ready:

“Oh, man, it’s not like in the past,” Cobb said. “I’ve had ankle injuries, shoulders, whatever. You can fight through it as a competitor. You can handle the pain and know you’re not going to do any further damage to yourself.

“There is no way to do that with this kind of injury. It’s with you every second of the day. You’re not going to be able to fight through it until your body tells you you’re good.”

A good story about it in the Tampa Bay Times in which Cobb sounds both realistic about his condition yet optimistic about his prospects.

1. cur68 - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:45 AM

Man. Poor kid. Good Luck, Alex Cobb: rebounding from a concussion is not a sure thing. I hope it goes well.

There’s work being carried out on immediate brain cooling for concussion. Still no data yet for adults (that I’m aware of), but we use the therapy all the time for infants who have difficulty at birth and risk brain injury. Perhaps in the not so distant future we’ll see an immediate intervention for that ball to the head.

• raysfan1 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:04 PM

So far the thumbs down vs up ratio for Cur’s comment is 4:1. I’m curious as to why. Is it the well wishes? Is it the factual statement that recovery from traumatic brain injuries is variable? Is it the speculation about a possible future form of treatment?

None of the above?

Cur, have you been trying to help Justin Bieber sneak south of the border again? For shame! Tell you what, there’s an extra slice of cake in it for you if you keep him up there in Beaverland.

• stlouis1baseball - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:00 PM

So far the thumbs down vs up ratio for Cur’s comment is 4:1. = Human are Penisheads

• skids003 - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Agreed. I umpire and have seen two bad liners myself injure a pitcher pretty badly. Every time I see a shot back up the middle now, I cringe for a minute. It’s tough to watch. Best wishes to him.

• cur68 - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM

If Bieber wants to go south, then who am I to stand in his way? Hell, I’ll help him pack. AND hold the door. In fact, take Avril Lavigne, too. Its a two-fer if you send back Shania Twain. She’s pretty hot. I like looking at her.

The thumbs are as a result of someone with not too much else to do with their day, I guess. I never bother with them, neither up nor down.

• raysfan1 - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:49 PM

No deal. Shania can stay here as long as she likes, but you keep Bieber and Lavigne. You may have two extra slices of cake for the inconvenience of having both of them remain in Canada.

2. jaysfan64 - Jun 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Just good to see him out at the park last night..scary stuff – maybe that HorrorDome is really cursed after all…

• indaburg - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I prefer Terrordome.

• Old Gator - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:41 PM

It’s not cursed. It’s just ugly. Think of it as the architectural equivalent of a mug shot of Kevin Youkilis.

• Rockie D. Bull - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:40 PM

OG – your jealous envy for the Rays franchise and the Tampa Bay area is showing again.

The Trop isn’t as ugly as those home attendance figures and the won/lost record that the Miami Blow Fish have posted in their brand new Blow Hole so far this season. And lets not forget the team owner leading the Miami/Dade taxpayers down the golden path. You may have a new stadium (with no parking and in a terrible part of town) but that’s it. If there is any team ripe for contraction, it is that debacle of a AAA team in Feeshville.

• Rockie D. Bull - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:31 PM

The “HorrorDome” you are referring to is located in Toronto, known as the Rogers Center.

The Trop had no bearing on this injury, if he was drilled in the same manner at an open air stadium any place else in the league the result would have been the same.

3. indaburg - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I read the article this morning in the paper. I really hope Cobb can make it back this year, same as before, even if it’s just for one inning. We poke a lot of fun at intangibles, us saber people, but this kid has the numbers and the intangibles. Yeah, the grit, the heart. The stuff you can’t measure. He’s got it. Good luck on your road to recovery, Mr. Cobb.

• Old Gator - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM

I second that. Hang in there, Mr. Cobb. This too shall pass.

4. raysfan1 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Get well soon, Alex, but at the same time don’t rush it–just know we will all be very happy when you are back and healthy.

5. jm91rs - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I heard a brief news report this morning that he was a little upset that MLB would not allow him to wear a helmet or some sort of head protection while out there pitching. Any idea if this is true? I can’t remember any problems with John Olerud wearing a helmet in the field. It would be a shame if MLB wouldn’t allow a player to wear more protection.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5489)