Jun 25, 2013, 5:18 AM EST
Four games? Really? What, people were supposed to watch hockey or something?
[Shut up, Calcaterra, hockey pays the bills around here — Ed.]
Um, congratulations, Chicago Blackhawks!
Padres 4, Phillies 3: Philly took a three-run lead into the bottom of the ninth with Cliff Lee still pitching a shutout when he began the inning. Then Kyle Blanks happened. Lee allowed the first two runners to reach and was relieved by Jonathan Papelbon, still up 3-0. Blanks promptly drove in two with a single. Blanks advanced to second when Papelbon hit the next batter with a pitch and Blanks took third on a double play. Then, oops, Carlos Ruiz allowed a passed ball which scored Blanks and onto extra innings we went. In the tenth the Padres loaded the bases with two walks and another hit-by-pitch after which Blanks won it with an RBI single. What a dispiriting way to lose a game.
Dodgers 3, Giants 1: Yasiel Puig homers again — his seventh — and broke a tie with an RBI single in the eighth. After the game A.J. Ellis said of Puig, “he’s hitting everything and hitting it hard. I’m just really happy he’s on our side.” I think they said that about Dr. Manhattan too. The Dodgers have won three in a row, which is their longest winning streak of the season.
Rays 4, Blue Jays 1: Jeremy Hellickson shut out the Jays for seven innings, allowing only one hit. James Loney, Wil Myers and Sam Fuld went back-to-back-to-back in the second. The Jays’ winning streak ends at 11.
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 42
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 166
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (166)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)