Jun 25, 2013, 5:18 AM EDT
Four games? Really? What, people were supposed to watch hockey or something?
[Shut up, Calcaterra, hockey pays the bills around here — Ed.]
Um, congratulations, Chicago Blackhawks!
Padres 4, Phillies 3: Philly took a three-run lead into the bottom of the ninth with Cliff Lee still pitching a shutout when he began the inning. Then Kyle Blanks happened. Lee allowed the first two runners to reach and was relieved by Jonathan Papelbon, still up 3-0. Blanks promptly drove in two with a single. Blanks advanced to second when Papelbon hit the next batter with a pitch and Blanks took third on a double play. Then, oops, Carlos Ruiz allowed a passed ball which scored Blanks and onto extra innings we went. In the tenth the Padres loaded the bases with two walks and another hit-by-pitch after which Blanks won it with an RBI single. What a dispiriting way to lose a game.
Dodgers 3, Giants 1: Yasiel Puig homers again — his seventh — and broke a tie with an RBI single in the eighth. After the game A.J. Ellis said of Puig, “he’s hitting everything and hitting it hard. I’m just really happy he’s on our side.” I think they said that about Dr. Manhattan too. The Dodgers have won three in a row, which is their longest winning streak of the season.
Rays 4, Blue Jays 1: Jeremy Hellickson shut out the Jays for seven innings, allowing only one hit. James Loney, Wil Myers and Sam Fuld went back-to-back-to-back in the second. The Jays’ winning streak ends at 11.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 20
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 12
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (132)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)