Jun 25, 2013, 5:18 AM EDT
Four games? Really? What, people were supposed to watch hockey or something?
[Shut up, Calcaterra, hockey pays the bills around here — Ed.]
Um, congratulations, Chicago Blackhawks!
Padres 4, Phillies 3: Philly took a three-run lead into the bottom of the ninth with Cliff Lee still pitching a shutout when he began the inning. Then Kyle Blanks happened. Lee allowed the first two runners to reach and was relieved by Jonathan Papelbon, still up 3-0. Blanks promptly drove in two with a single. Blanks advanced to second when Papelbon hit the next batter with a pitch and Blanks took third on a double play. Then, oops, Carlos Ruiz allowed a passed ball which scored Blanks and onto extra innings we went. In the tenth the Padres loaded the bases with two walks and another hit-by-pitch after which Blanks won it with an RBI single. What a dispiriting way to lose a game.
Dodgers 3, Giants 1: Yasiel Puig homers again — his seventh — and broke a tie with an RBI single in the eighth. After the game A.J. Ellis said of Puig, “he’s hitting everything and hitting it hard. I’m just really happy he’s on our side.” I think they said that about Dr. Manhattan too. The Dodgers have won three in a row, which is their longest winning streak of the season.
Rays 4, Blue Jays 1: Jeremy Hellickson shut out the Jays for seven innings, allowing only one hit. James Loney, Wil Myers and Sam Fuld went back-to-back-to-back in the second. The Jays’ winning streak ends at 11.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)