Jun 25, 2013, 9:43 PM EST
It was only a matter of time before Alex Rodriguez stepped into hot water with his new Twitter account.
A-Rod tweeted a couple of hours ago — with an accompanying Instagram photo — that he was cleared “over the weekend” by Dr. Bryan Kelly to begin playing in rehab games. But Kelly is not the Yankees’ team doctor — he only performed A-Rod’s hip surgery — and the third baseman has not been given clearance by anyone affiliated with the club.
Which brings us to this story, just published by Andrew Marchand on ESPNNewYork.com:
NEW YORK — Livid over Alex Rodriguez’s decision to tweet an update on his rehab process, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman had a message for the third baseman.
“You know what, when the Yankees want to announce something, [we will],” Cashman told ESPN New York. “Alex should just shut the f— up. That’s it. I’m going to call Alex now.”
The language is a bit excessive for what seems like a minor case of miscommunication, but maybe Cashman’s frustration surrounding this particular issue runs deeper than one might expect. Rodriguez is currently on track to return from the 60-day disabled list shortly after the mid-July All-Star break.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)