Jun 25, 2013, 9:43 PM EDT
It was only a matter of time before Alex Rodriguez stepped into hot water with his new Twitter account.
A-Rod tweeted a couple of hours ago — with an accompanying Instagram photo — that he was cleared “over the weekend” by Dr. Bryan Kelly to begin playing in rehab games. But Kelly is not the Yankees’ team doctor — he only performed A-Rod’s hip surgery — and the third baseman has not been given clearance by anyone affiliated with the club.
Which brings us to this story, just published by Andrew Marchand on ESPNNewYork.com:
NEW YORK — Livid over Alex Rodriguez’s decision to tweet an update on his rehab process, Yankees general manager Brian Cashman had a message for the third baseman.
“You know what, when the Yankees want to announce something, [we will],” Cashman told ESPN New York. “Alex should just shut the f— up. That’s it. I’m going to call Alex now.”
The language is a bit excessive for what seems like a minor case of miscommunication, but maybe Cashman’s frustration surrounding this particular issue runs deeper than one might expect. Rodriguez is currently on track to return from the 60-day disabled list shortly after the mid-July All-Star break.
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 34
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 90
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 8
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (101)