Jun 25, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Corey Hart has had multiple setbacks in his recovery from January knee surgery and six months later the Brewers first baseman still isn’t close to returning, leaving him understandably frustrated.
Here’s what he said to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, who described Hart as “dejected”:
Our timetable was off, so now we’re taking it day by day. They definitely overshot and it gave me optimism and hope. At the same time, it wasn’t realistic. So, I’m just trying to grind it out and see what happens. It’s definitely gotten better, but their timetable just never happened. They would say one thing and it never happened. I can do everything; I just can’t do everything as good as I need to. I don’t have the strength in it I need.
According to Haudricourt “at this point, it’s not completely out of the question that he will miss the entire season.”
That’s quite a change from the initial timetable that had him returning in May and in Hart’s extended absence the Brewers have gotten by far the worst production in baseball from their first basemen, who’ve combined to hit .180 with five homers and a .506 OPS in 74 games.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)