Corey Hart is “dejected” and nowhere close to returning

Jun 25, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT

Corey Hart AP

Corey Hart has had multiple setbacks in his recovery from January knee surgery and six months later the Brewers first baseman still isn’t close to returning, leaving him understandably frustrated.

Here’s what he said to Tom Haudricourt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, who described Hart as “dejected”:

Our timetable was off, so now we’re taking it day by day. They definitely overshot and it gave me optimism and hope. At the same time, it wasn’t realistic. So, I’m just trying to grind it out and see what happens. It’s definitely gotten better, but their timetable just never happened. They would say one thing and it never happened. I can do everything; I just can’t do everything as good as I need to. I don’t have the strength in it I need.

According to Haudricourt “at this point, it’s not completely out of the question that he will miss the entire season.”

That’s quite a change from the initial timetable that had him returning in May and in Hart’s extended absence the Brewers have gotten by far the worst production in baseball from their first basemen, who’ve combined to hit .180 with five homers and a .506 OPS in 74 games.

1. whitdog23 - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:31 AM

ROFLMAO this is like the “doctor” who said ARod would be back in 2 weeks after surgery for a torn meniscus

• dan1111 - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Injuries = not funny.

And why the scare quotes? Do you think the Yankees, who are paying A-Rod a trillion dollars, decided to save money by not hiring a real doctor?

2. yahmule - Jun 25, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Does anyone remember the exact procedure Hart had performed?

• okobojicat - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Sunglasses removal?

• professormaddog31 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

I thought he had a torn meniscus, but I’m not sure.

• jwbiii - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Meniscus and microfracture. A meniscus tear can usually be repaired using an arthroscope, so that’s 6-8 week thing. I know nothing about microfractures, but they seem to have a long recovery time.

• neoshweaty - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I remember when Beltran had it done. It took him a while to get back on the field and he wasn’t really himself until the next season IIRC. Beltran is fine so there is some hope for Hart but Hart was also never the natural talent that Beltran was/seems to be.

• jwbiii - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Grady Sizemore had microfracture knee surgery in 2010. Sizemore has had other health issues (back surgery), so it would be unfair to conclude that Hart’s future looks anything like Sizemore’s present, but the precedent isn’t good.

3. professormaddog31 - Jun 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

This is sad. Corey’s a good dude, and the Brewers’ medical staff are a bunch of hacks. A damn shame.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM

So exactly what evidence do you have that the Brewer docs are “hacks”?

• professormaddog31 - Jun 25, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I wish we didn’t have to live in a world where every statement that is obviously one’s own opinion must be prefaced by “this is my own opinion.” Perhaps ‘hack’ is too strong of a word. However, I am not the only person that I know who follows the Brewers that shares this sentiment. My co-worker is actually the one who brought it up to me first, and he’s a season ticket holder.

I just notice that there are a lot of seemingly minor injuries on the squad that seem to be prolonged for ages. Not Corey specifically, but let’s take Braun’s wonky thumb as an example. How long did they know it was a problem and still allowed him to play with it like that? I know Chris Narveson’s had injury problems in the past, as well, but it just seems interesting that he gets injured a lot (and the injuries seem a little more severe) now. Shaun Marcum is another person who had a lot of injuries, but when he was with the Brewers it seemed that he was always on the DL, a lot more than usual.

I fully admit that I am not a live and die Brewers fan, and I might be doing them a disservice by comparing their injuries to those of other teams that I follow.

• brewcrewfan54 - Jun 25, 2013 at 4:06 PM

There’s just no evidence that the Brewer medical staff is historically bad. Marcum ws an oft injured player when they got him and in the 2 years they had him he was injury free for 1 of them. Brauns injury was a play through it thing. He did as long as he could until they had to do something about it. Narveson’s injuries weren’t made wose by the training staff. The San Diego Chargers had a doctor who was known to suck. Its not that I took your original statement to seriously, its that there’s no proof that its at all correct.

• bougin89 - Jun 25, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Marcum’s elbow(a TJ repaired elbow) basically wore out on him. He pitched almost exactly 200 innings his first year, it wasn’t like the Brewers were over relying on him. His second year he was pitching for a contract but was oft-injured. On the Mets this year he has been terrible, proof, IMHO, it wasn’t just a Brewer medical staff deal.

As for Corey Hart, this guy has always taken forever to heal from injuries. Within a two year span he went from the fastest Brewer on the team to slower than Prince Fielder during Prince’s last year with us. Corey is more interested in living the lifestyle than working at his profession. Every spring training he shows up overweight and slowly works himself into shape during the season.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3155)